x64 Incompatible / Compatible Applications

Hello all. I am very new here and this is my first post. I really enjoy the forum and find it very useful.

A friend and I have just built 64-bit machines and my friend is running the x64 os. I am still a little gunshy and will probably eventually dual-boot.

My friend tried to install the gamedrive 9.0 software that came with his BFG 7800gtx OC. The software has crippled his machine and we cannot figure out how to uninstall it. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I appreciate everyone taking a look but my friend got impatient and reloaded the OS.

This may be known to all but Gamedrive 9.0 does not work with x64.

Aggh,

Never thought XP Pro 64 would be such a pain. No Norton or McAfee's for it this late in the game. Tried Avast(free version), installs but then can't find in anywhere on the PC (not add/remove, not through "My Computer"). What the hell?

The graphics program GIMP works in 32 bit mode. It can do almost everything Photoshop can, and it's free!

OK I am a x64 user now on Vista, no dual boot and never did this with XP.

I noticed that Kunal said CutePDF worked on x64. I tried to install it and got an error saying I need to turn off UAC. That's a bit weird, because I right-clicked on the application and did a "run as administrator" - shouldn't that over ride it anyways?

I turned off UAC, rebooted and was able to install it fine. What gives here?

I ran with UAC on for Vista x86 and never had that problem?

Not come across that myself...

If it's an MSI installer you could grab Orca and hack the requirement out of it.

Well I was able to dance around it as I said, just thought it was weird myself.

No other problems so far with x64, new rig is blazing fast too :D

I wonder if this has something to do with installing a printer driver? All other applications I installed were fine going into the x86 Program Files directory, but SnagIT gave me a similar fit when trying to install and both need to install printer drivers.

Will be a good test when I go to install my actual printer later this weekend :p

my amd box should be going 64bits soon, well it will when i pick up new pc next week :)

KC, no real problems with vista64? I have be thinking about.
Haven't really broken it in too hardcore yet, but so far so good :)

About another week until I can fully transition from my x86 box, so might not play with it much until then.

Now I haven't been following the 64x stuff these days, so I don't know what is going on. All I want to know is if it's worth getting it. Or should I say good? I am a person who has and needs to use more then 4GB, so that is the main reason I need 64x.

I was reading through this thread a bit but there is alot to it. Should I get the 64x version of Vista, or does almost anything not work with it. I will be running the CS3 full suite, all the new games out there today, office, and well I could list everything but those are the most important. Ideas or suggestions. Is 64x XP the same deal as 64x Vista?

First off it's x64, not 64x - sorry I'm picky :)

I have been running it since Jan 31st and I love it. Fast, stable, no real problems at all. Programs will work just fine, they just install to c:\program files (x86) for those that aren't true 64-bit applications. The real challenge will be your hardware - I would check to make sure your manufacturer supplies x64 drivers. If you are OK there, make the plung and you won't regret it. Of course, if you are nervous, you could always dual boot with a x86 setup and see what happens.

What do you mean by the c:/program files thing, that is where I normally install all my programs? In x64 does it go somewhere else?

yes if there are 32 bit programs they are installed in to
c:\program files(x86)
if they are native 64bit apps they are installed into
c:\program files

ahhh, so there are 2 places. I find that pretty stupid. I assume a lot of the programs that I use will be only x86...hmmm

I am very picky when it comes to clean folders, and placement of stuff. That is really bothersum....hmm not sure if I want to go x64 now, just because of that yes I know...

*shakes head*

To each there own, you sacrifice things like that to truly take advantage of your system and it's potential :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back