x4 and x8 AGP difference?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by _DM_, Mar 6, 2003.

1. _DM_

_DM_ OSNN Senior Addict

can u tell any differences between a 4x to a 8x AGP?

2. canadian_divx

canadian_divx Canadian_divx

a little more bandwith for the card to send information faster, that is all i know of and i have herd that it is totaly better to over clock a vid card that is 8x because you can get more out of it but i dont know of any fact behind that

3. versionfiv

versionfiv OSNN Addict

AGP 3.0 will allow you nicer graphics, faster, because of the increased bandwidth. There's also a precise streaming feature new to 3.0, which makes sure there will be no erratic data streaming.

4. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

actually 2 times the bandwidth.... theoretically...

2.1 gb/s is the theoretical bandwidth with agp 8x... 2 times that of agp4x... though there are not many apps (if any) that take advantage of this..

5. _DM_

_DM_ OSNN Senior Addict

ok.
    you think doom III will take the 8x advantage?

6. koko

koko Got Root?

uh...yeah! ;)

7. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

seeing as the majority of the code on doom III was written using extensions in the radeon 8500 and gf3 hardware... it is unlikely the product will run any faster on an agp8x board than an agp4x board...

yes it will push polys like nobody's business (or require the processing of) but I seriously doubt the game will run faster.. :)

that being said carmack may take a little extra time to allow the extra bandwidth to be used... after all... the game is still around 5-6 months away...