X11 Issues...

Discussion in 'Macintosh' started by Techno Child, Dec 10, 2006.

1. Techno Child

Techno Child web{designer} Folding Team

Hello everyone,

I am trying to install GIMP on a Powerbook G4, and the OS is 10.4.8. When I try to run the installer, it stops and says that X11 should be installed first.

So I go to Apple's website and download X11 and try to install it. X11 says that there is a newer version installed, and it won't continue either!

So what I gather is that the previous install of X11 was corrupt, and I cannot find it anywhere on the hd to delete it. Is there a way to wipe out X11 and do a reinstall without having to reinstall OSX?

Thanks guys,
    -tc

2. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

If I remember right, X11 from Apple's site is outdated. You need to install it from your install DVD.

Also, try using Gimp.app, it's much easier.

3. Techno Child

Shoot... So I have to go locate the disk/manual packets huh? If I remember correctly, I got this compy with the original restore disks. Would the new version of X11 be on those aswell?

BTW: I am using Gimp.app :)

4. SPeedY_B

X11 1.0 (the one available on the Apple site) is for panther / 10.3.

X11 1.1 is Tiger / 10.4, so if your restore/install discs are Tiger then you should have X11 1.1

Also just for reference, if you don't have "/Applications/Utilities/X11.app" then X11 isn't installed :)

If you can't find your discs, I'll get X11User.pkg from my Tiger DVD and upload it for you :)

5. Techno Child

ohh... Would you? That would save me a ton of searching. So far I only found 10.2, 10.3, and the recovery disks for both our G5 iMac and the G4 iBook... you would think by now I would find a centralized location for these things... :s

X11 is not in the Utilities folder, that I can see anyways.... may be hidden but doubt it. I guess this means that the one I downloaded through my developer's account was also for 10.3 which is why it said the one I "have" is newer...

Thanks in advance for the upload :D

6. SPeedY_B

You'd know if it was there, it's a large "X" icon...

[​IMG]

I'm trying to upload the installer now, will slap a link here when it's done.

7. SPeedY_B

8. Techno Child

Thanks! I'm going to install it right now :D