WRT54G as an access point

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Heeter, Feb 18, 2006.

1. Heeter

Heeter Overclocked Like A Mother

Hi Guys,

I am gonna relegate my Linksys WRT54G Router to be an access point.

First I must configure this thing to be one. It is going to be connected to the main router. I am wondering which connector should I hook up on the back of the Linksys, the wan or the lan. There will not be any other machines hooked up to it.

How do I configure it? I will manually assign an IP address to the WAN side? Should I just go DMZ, will that work?

Thanks in advance,

Heeter

2. DaVo

DaVo OSNN Addict

So are you trying to hook two routers up to each other? (both linksys?, if so, then yes it can be done! That's how my setup here at home is done!)

3. Heeter

Yes two routers together. One is the linksys wireless mentioned above, the other is a server class Netgear router. The Netgear is the main networking router.

Heeter

4. Admiral Michael

Admiral Michael Michaelsoft Systems CEO Folding Team

5. DaVo

DaVo OSNN Addict

I have done exactly what u want to do.

This helped me solve my problem: LinK

Hope this helps :)

6. Heeter

When I am done, do I connect the Cat5 from the main router to the WAN of the router? Or does it stay on one of the LAN connectors?

Even following the guides, I cannot get it to work,

Heeter

7. DaVo

DaVo OSNN Addict

From your main router put a CAT5 cable in a normal LAN port (on the main router) and connect the other end to the UPLINK port on your second router. Then you have to disable DHCP i think.

8. Heeter

I have disabled the DHCP as well.

hmmm, I will go through the setup again, later. I am pretty sure I must of missed something.

By disabling the DHCP, It is the main router that issues an IP address through the access point router. Am I assuming this correctly?

Thanks in advance,

Heeter

9. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

Heeter, if you disable DHCP, you are correct in assuming the IP addresses are spread out by your main router.

This thread gives me a very delicious idea, mmhmm :)

10. DaVo

DaVo OSNN Addict

you have to make sure that you assign your No.2 router to a different I.P address than that of your main No.1 router. Your main router might have an I.P address close to 192.168.1.0 (or something similar), ensure that the No.2 router doesnt have the same I.P (as mentioned above) otherwise nothing will work!! I suggest putting the No.2 router to a I.P address of something like 192.168.1.254 (like the article i gave you says).

11. Admiral Michael

A device cannot use the IP 192.168.1.0, Im assuming you meant 192.168.1.1. Also I would assign the second router 192.168.1.2 and set the main router's DHCP scope to start at 100 (which is the default).

Now Heeter when we say change the IP we mean the IP used to access the config, you dont need to assign any IP to the WAN interface.

12. Heeter

I am assigning an IP address to that, maybe that's why, DOH!!!

I'll go try it again,

Thanks AM

BTW, Do I just leave it at 0.0.0.0's?

Heeter

13. DaVo

DaVo OSNN Addict

Yes, sorry I did mean 192.168.1.1 - i was getting myself all muddled up. :nervous:

14. Admiral Michael

Either leave it at Obtain Automatically or assign is something that isnt used so it wont try to look for an IP all the time.

Here's mine:

Attached Files: