Writing over deleted files

n0d3

the 4um stalker
I searched for something of this sort in the forum, but I found nothing... if I missed it I'd be happy to receive a link to the other thread.

When I got my Mac I was happy about the Secure Delete function because occasionally I have information I'd like to permanently delete because I'm feeling like a security freak at the time. It's a really handy tool, but what if you delete a file without clicking secure delete? Then you've gotten rid of the reference but the files are still on the drive. That's nothing new to us... so what can be done to overwrite the data without recovering it and redeleting it? I only have one drive set up. The recovery tools require that you set up the programs on a different drive. I'd think that setting up a sort of partition from the drive that's already there wouldn't work though I could very well be wrong. Any suggestions for what to do?

If you are afraid of data that might be found, I might suggest just encrypting your entire home directory in the preferences pane, so that if they do get access to your laptop, they can't get the data back anyways.

As for writing over areas that might be unused, I personally just create a file that is about 80% my left over disk space, and then have it secure delete that file, that should cause enough bits to be erased that nothing should be left, this is however a very costly and long operation, and I don't suggest it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back