Writable disks kill my DVD/CD-RW

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by earthling, Apr 4, 2002.

1. earthling

earthling Guest

When I put a blank disk in my DVD/CD-RW my system pauses a moment then the drive dies. The Icon in the quicklaunch (I put one there for simplicity) shows an unknown drive with a red question mark. The drive is then and forever gone, I can't even eject the drive while windows is in action I have to wait until I reboot and do it before windows loads. If you click on the quicklaunch icon it says the drive cannot be found. I have format/reinstalled twice and the same thing happens but only when I put a blank disk in. Once the drive has been killed it stays dead...reboot does not work. I am working with a system I just built and this drive I have had for about a year never did this before. Here are my system specs for info:
    2/athlon XP's 1700+
    MSI K7D
    512 PC2100 DDR ECC&Registered
    AIW8500DV
    AIWRadeon(for second monitor)
    RPC-1(high end audio card)
    NEC USB2.0 card(came w/ motherboard)
    WindowsXP pro
    Any help or ideas? I have no idea what is wrong...

2. earthling

earthling Guest

Something to add...it actualy seems to kill my whole system i.e. it wont reboot...gets to first xp screen and just stays...the blue progress bar keeps moving but never logs on...HELP!!!

3. earthling

earthling Guest

system restore seems to help...this time...but the problem is still there...put in a writable disk and the priviously explained problems start...everytime.

4. andre9540

andre9540 Guest

your DVD/ROM may not be windows XP compatible yet that not to common, try clean install:(

5. earthling

earthling Guest

done that...twice and it has worked under XP before...