WMP9 won't play AVIs

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by QuietMan, Jan 30, 2005.

1. QuietMan

QuietMan OSNN One Post Wonder

Ok here is what happened. A few weeks ago I had installed a codecs pack (ACE mega CP).. After running into some problems I uninstalled this codec pack, but now Windows Media Player won't play any movie with avi format.. I'm going nutz trying to fix this, so far no luck...

None of my movie editing programs can open avi files since my system won't recognize this format anymore..

If any1 could help me out with this would be much appreciated.
    Thanks...

2. drz01

drz01 Weekend DJ

Download WMP it will have all the codecs, also make WMA your defult player fro avi files.

3. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

4. VenomXt

VenomXt Blame me for the RAZR's Folding Team

unistall what you installed and get this..

http://home.hccnet.nl/h.edskes/mirror.htm get the k-lite codect pack the mega one has windows media player classic in it and the quicktime and realtime alternatives (play those formates within media player).

this is what i use and id swear by it.

5. QuietMan

I have tried this before, but just in case installed again with no luck
    Here is what happened:

New installation:

[​IMG]

Opening avi movie:

[​IMG]

Error:

[​IMG]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have all these codecs installed, no problems to encode a movie to avi format using VirtualDub.. My problem is I can not edit a movie..

Programs such as HT Video Editor 6.0, or Video Edit Magic 3 I use won't open anything with avi extension..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have tried to reinstall codec packs but no improvement to my pain..

Thanks for all your help so far.

6. Kush

Kush High On Life!

7. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

Sounds like your codec pack left a "gift" behind in the registry. It is pointing WMP to a missing codec file and the reinstall did not remove the bad entry.

You can try and find and remove the bad entry by:
    1) doing a find in regedit looking for the name of the old pack (might find it) then remove entry. Soemwhat risky if operator is unskilled. Slow but free.
    2) use regcleaner to look for the old codec pack name and remove it. Might work, safer/easier, free.
    3) Get a copy of reg mechanic and use it to look for bad file extension keys. Most thorough, $29 utility.

8. Kush

Kush High On Life!

why not use windows media player 10? or even better bs player plays everthing and it is included in the megga codec pack

9. QuietMan

I have Registry Crawler, Complete Registry Cleaner, and RegVac all invalid keys are removed already.. Manual edit is too risky, coz i dunno w00t to search for...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a lot of players i can play avi with like VLC, Light Alloy, bs player, or even WMP classic.. Problem is when i try to use an editor like Movie Maker my system doesn't recognise avi flicks..

10. Kush

Kush High On Life!

movie maker sucks monkey balls, use pinnacle, or any other one, seriously movie maker is the lowest quality one i have seen, as u can see in my sig i hate low quality, and maybe ure not using the latest version of movie maker, u might say u dont wanna buy any one since movie maker is free, but pinnacle is well worth the money, u can do many more things u could never do in movie maker

11. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

You might want to try some of what is mentioned in this MSKB article:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/842180

A word of advise: Never install "codec packs" on your system. When they're installed, things seem fine. When the time comes to uninstall them for some reason, you're screwed. I've had friends IM me because their mp3's "stopped working" after they uninstalled these things.

12. QuietMan

I would never use Movie Maker, i just set that as an example coz it looks u didn't read my first reply properly.

BTW thaks for trying to help me..
    Cheers..

13. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

ROFLMAO. Took me 4 years to figure out that the Windows Media Player acronym (WMP) would be pronounced "wimp". The M$ marketing guys sure screwed up that one.

14. QuietMan

Just bumping this thread, problem solved.. :)

I stopped looking WMP as a probable error.. Quickly put the answer was repearing the windows registry.. Since GSpot reported all codecs installed for playback of avi movie formats, i turned to look for a windows glitch...

I thought up a crazy idea and it worked :) I had a drive image backed up on a spare hard drive by DriveImage2002.. So i've restored my OS to an empty harddrive, booted it up and backed up the registry to an external USB hard drive.. Booted up from the damaged drive, merged the saved reg info with regedit and it worked perfect..

After that i've removed all unwanted shortcuts with a program called Registry Crawler.. Now i can view and edit avi's again... :)

All this caused by uninstalling a fricken codec-pack..
    That's the last time i install anything like that again, only codec you ever need is ffdshow, and maybe XviD (freeware)..
    Ah well lesson to be learned. lol

QM..

15. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

So true.
    Thank you for posting your experience. Hope this will be a lesson for other people too. ;)

16. Nighthawk-F117

Nighthawk-F117 OSNN Junior Addict

Download and install Windows Media Player 10, and install the K-Like Media Codec pack like the guy above said.

17. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

Yep, I'm all with you there. Codec packs make life troublesome. ;)
    XviD is in ffdshow btw, so you don't need the extra codec for that.

Nighthawk-F117: You seriously missed the bump post, huh? ;)

18. Nighthawk-F117

Nighthawk-F117 OSNN Junior Addict

Oopsy. :suprised:

19. Johnny

Johnny .. Commodore .. Political User

I am happy to hear you got it fixed. I installed Cyberlink Power DVD Deluxe, so I don't have to worry about codec packs. Power DVD plays all the avi files etc .. Coded packs will mess your system up more than help it. The best thing to do is install only the ones you need individually ..

20. Kush

Kush High On Life!

ive never had problems with mega codec pack