WLAN question

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Glaanieboy, Dec 11, 2003.

1. Glaanieboy

Glaanieboy Moderator

I am currently doing a self-study of Bridge course chapter 3 from Cisco. In this chapter, they explain how WLANs work. I have a question about this part:
    Does this mean that a 11mbits network is actually 5.5 mbits? And a 54 mbits actually 27 mbits? Thanks.

No, I can't ask my teacher, it's 9 pm here and I am taking the test tonight.

2. blinden

blinden OSNN Senior Addict

hope it's not too late, but, as I understand, 'overhead' to which they are refering to eating most of the bandwidth includes things such as acknolwedgements and headers of the packets and such that consume bandwidth without producing actual data.

3. j79zlr

j79zlr Glaanies script monkey Political User

I know nothing of the actual physical workings, but I believe that is what half duplex mode is for. Most cable modems should be set to half duplex to avoid packet collisions since half duplex only allows one-way transfers, but I think thats their point, wireless cannot easily detect this? I more confused, I need to sleep.

4. Glaanieboy

Glaanieboy Moderator

I passed the exam with a score of 94%, so I think I understand it. There was a question in the exam that went like this:
    Code:
    Your chief wants WLAN in the building for replacement of the current wired LAN. You know something about the actual bandwidth in a WLAN. What do you tell your chief?
    a) In a WLAN about 20% of the actual bandwidth is available
    b) In a WLAN about 70% of the actual bandwidth is available
    c) In a WLAN about 50% of the actual bandwidth is available
    d) In a WLAN you can use the full 100% of the bandwidth available
    c) was the right answer ;)

5. blinden

blinden OSNN Senior Addict

good going on the test, i hate when they make you look too far into a question and the answer is way easy to remember...

i'm going to start craming for some certs after christmas as i'm graduating in july and need to secure a job.