Wireless Question

negativefactor

..of the vast oceans.
Just a quick question, is 270.77 KBps an acceptable transfer speed across a 802.11b (11mpbs) wireless network?

Pete

It's a bit on the slow side! How close are the nodes on the network as if it is quite a large distance the speed will be reduced.

Tweakfiend said:
Ah ... depends if you have a 150 ,300, or 512 k Broadband connection.
Suspect might be 300, as my 512 connection runs @ 468 mbps.
Speed Tested via www.adslguide.org.uk.

:eek:

some connection you got there :D

wrt negativefactor... thats not bad if its inline with your internet connection :)

my gf's laptop connects @ around 350 kbps while i connect @ around 380... not much difference but she's usually a coupla rooms over from me...

Tweakfiend said:
Ah ... depends if you have a 150 ,300, or 512 k Broadband connection.
Suspect might be 300, as my 512 connection runs @ 468 mbps.
Speed Tested via www.adslguide.org.uk.
I want one of those connections!:p

Sorry! To confirm the connection is between 2 devices on my network namely my Xbox and my computer (FTP). However I have found the same network speed between my Laptop and Computer (FTP).

My Xbox is downstairs, my DLink DI-614+ and computer is up. There is physically no more than about 5 metres between them.

I'm on 756K Blueyonder for broadband!

Cheers

what do you get on dsl reports for connection speed on the router (wired) ?

Sorry i'm talking purely between devices, I have no intrest in internet speeds at all.

Well maybe a little:

Downstream 722 Kbps (90.3 KB/sec) 779 Kbps (inc. overheads)
Upstream 121 Kbps (15.1 KB/sec) 130 Kbps (inc. overheads)

11,000,000 / 8 * 0.72 is your maximum possible speed using ethernet. Actual speed will be a half to a quarter of that. Using WEP also slows down the transfer rate.

Check your signal strength. If the signal is weak you will slow down significantly.

http://www.broadbandhomecentral.com/bbhl/wifiresults.html

An amusing wifi story:
A buddy has his PC on wireless at his brothers house. Every time they turn on the dryer which is between the PC and the access point signal strength drops in half. I have him building a windsurfer wifi antenna.

http://forum.osnn.net/showthread.php?t=39088

Well my computer seems to say the streght is 'Excelllent' and the wireless bridge on my Xbox (Netgear WGE101) says 98%

LeeJend does the 0.72 relate to my internet connection speed?

The 0.72 is the overhead time that ethernet protocal uses to handshake the data connection.

Dividing by 8 is the conversion from mbps (megabits per second) to mBps (megabytes per second).

With 10 meg wired I hit the ideal number on my net. When I went to 100meg wired the speed did not make it all the way to the ideal butit was close.

From what I've read the overhead used by the wireless connection is a lot worse than the overhead of a wired ethernet lan. And low signal strength or electronic noise (motors, cell phones, portable phones, CB's, etc.) makes the overhead even higher.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back