Wireless Network Profiles, how?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by apu95, Feb 10, 2007.

1. apu95

apu95 Caffeine-->Code Converter

I'm trying to set up different network profiles for my home wireless and school wireless networks. At home I want to use a static IP and custom DNS settings, while at school I want it to switch to automatic for both.

I know Vista comes with a feature to do this, but I haven't been able to find the place to add the custom IP settings for each wireless profile. I know that it's possible to do with wired networks (I've seen some screenshots), but I can't find it for the wireless counterpart.

Running Vista Business ;)

2. wildone52

wildone52 OSNN One Post Wonder

Try this: Go to Control Panel, select Network and Sharing then select Manage Wireless Networks, then select Add and then finally Manually Configure....
    Hope this helps you out.

3. apu95

It doesn't :(
    When I click on Add, I go to "Manually Create A Network Profile", then I have to fill out the following:

Network Name
    Security Type
    Encryption Type
    Security Type/Passphrase

Upon clicking Next, I can choose between "Change Connection Settings" or "Connect To". When I click on Change Connection Settings, I can only change the Connection (Connect automatically or not, etc) and Security (Type, Encryption Type). There aren't any IP settings or anything like that...

4. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

I've only used the Public/Private networking profiles to control firewall rules.
    I've heard it's possible to set IP settings for different profiles too. Where did you see instructions/screenshots on how to do this for wired networks?

5. apu95