wireless confusion

S

stealer

Hi All,

I have decided to get a wireless home network going.
My setup as of right now is the following.

3 pc's running various versions of Windows.
All connected with a Linksys 5 port hub.
Sharing a cable modem and a printer.

I have an older Micron laptop running Win98 that I would like to
move around the house so I guess I'll have to go wireless. But for the moment I would prefer that the laptop would be the only wireless device. I would plan to add the 3 desktop pc's in 6-12 months. So the question is can I have a network with 1 wireless laptop and 3 wired pc's? If not I'll just have to get everything wireless at once.

Also lets say that my budget right now for this project is $300.00. And lets also say that I can just have the laptop the only wireless device. So with $300.00 I would need a base unit and 1 pc card.
I would love some suggestions about brands and suggestions for standards like IEEE 802.11b. I read somewhere that IEEE 802.11A is on the way.

Thanks for your help.
Stealer

Because you plan on migrating the entire network, a little planning ahead helps

1) Linksys BEFW11S4 ($189.99) - Its a combination DSL/Cable router for sharing with built in wireless access point. Provides both wireless and wired ethernet connectivity:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...7011/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_67_1/102-9557990-6197756

2) Linksys WPC11 ($79.99) - PC-Card wireless network card for laptop

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000056SSM/qid=1009557126/ref=sr_11_0_1/102-9557990-6197756

3) Linksys WMP11 ($99.95) - PCI wireless adapters for desktop computers

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005QFYE/qid=1009557265/ref=sr_11_0_1/102-9557990-6197756

The access point/router plus the laptop PC-Card is $270, well within your price range. The PCI adpaters for the desktop can be added later.

The 4-port switch built into the access point allow ethernet connections as well.

The NAT routing allows up to 254 computers to share a single public IP address

Thanks for the suggestions. After doing more research last night and today I do believe I am going to get exactly what you recommended.
Thanks again
Stealer

HI,

Got 1 question for you.
The Linksys BEFW11S4 ($189.99) that you recommend does not seem to say anything about a print server. But your post suggests that it has one. The question is do I really need one. Sorry, I'm really new to networking and am not really sure why I would need one. I share a printer now and am not using one.
Thanks for your help.
Stealer

It seems it does not. Sorry, i must have confused it with another product.

JJB6486

One thing to keep in mind is 802.11a is not on the way, but is here. Albeit pricier, but if 100Mb is worth the difference over 11Mb, then you should consider it. You can search PriceWatch for 802.11a and see what comes up there for both cards and wireless access points, and get the prices for them. You can also find, like the linksys, a wireless access point, gateway (or firewall), that includes wired access as well (i.e. a 4-port switch). It all depends on what you need. You can get a hub for cheap, configure one of your PCs to run internet connection sharing and handle DHCP/routing/firwalling, and you can get a 5 port hub for $20 to $40. And that goes for 802.11a OR 802.11b. If you use a PC for the DHCP/etc, you can also use that for serving a printer. Even if you do not want this type of set up, it could suffice in the beginning, until you have more funds to add something like a Linksys print server and router or something.
/L.A

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back