wireless broadband as opposed to dsl, cable, or T1 etc?

R

ryan3dfan

i just got one of those door hung ads on my front door about a company in my area that is offering wireless broadband via non-line-of-sight wireless technology. it sounds good to me, costs the same as other broadband services. 40 bucks a month and then 10 bucks a month for a wireless modem. i bought a computer three years ago with one of those promotional deals to sign up with an isp for three years and get 300 bucks instant rebate etc etc you know the promotions. well its finally going to expire real soon so i can finally kiss 56k goodbye. anyways thats why this deal jumped out at me. another big perk is i wouldnt have to worry about some technician coming out and installing lines in myhouse and stuff. all i have to do is plug the wireless modem into my network card its ready to go. right now their systems run at 1.4mbps with symetrical upload/download meaning it uploads and downloads at the same speed. so it appears just as fast as dsl and cable, if not faster. anyways does anyone know about this technology? is it reliable? thanks

*EDIT* oops, probably should have put this under internet and newtworking...

I've used richochet,,,excellant, then they went under...botom line, get a 2 or three month money back deal, and find out for yourself

is richochet..or i guess i should say WAS richochet a wireless broadband service? as for interferance, im sure it happens, like with a cordless phone or something but all you would have to do is switch channels on your phone. and im thinking cause these modems are like 500-600 dollars they must be pretty strong. which is also why i would be paying ten bucks a month for a modem instead of buying one up front, hehe.

riccochet was braodband...the modem was 300 bucks...worth every penny...ya, 10 bucks a month for the modem is a great idea...post the company, I'd like to look into them

This is going to be an incredible product and technology if these two guys pull it off. Internet terminal and display in your car right next to your radio. Built into your radio. WOW! Good story.

I thought it was quite interesting and thought of you gonaads when I read it, being you're in CA :D

Hey Ryan3dfan, Are you located in Campbell or Oakland California, by any chance?

My advice to you is to not get it. You would be better off with 56k.... Wireless Broadband Internet can be inturupted very easily. I mean the download speeds are great at times but then it could mostly be 1.01 Kpbs..... Who knows what it could have been that caused the interuption. Probably birds or something....lol But it really isn't that good and you shouldn't waste your money on it. That DirecPC is also like that. Just one little bitty inturuption and it's speeds will drop for awhile.... If it is available in your area... Get either DSL or Cable. They are much better than some wireless internet or satellite internet. :cool:

Originally posted by ReC0iL
My advice to you is to not get it. You would be better off with 56k.... Wireless Broadband Internet can be inturupted very easily.. :cool:

sorry, this doesn't make sence, there's nothing as bad as dialup...you should get this, and keep a free isp, like net zero as a backup

no i live in a suburb of dallas, tx. the company im talking about is called purely online. from their website i get the impression they are only in my area. if you want to look up their website is www.purelyonline.com. recoil. i respect your oppinion but how much do you really know about wireless broadband? do have any personal experience with it? i personally think its a great idea...and im sure when developing these type of modems interference was probably on high prioruty to work around. for 300-600 dollar modems i would hope and expect it to take alot to interfere with it.

Yes, I have experianced many times.... It was terrible. Who knows it could be where you live and what kinda area you have around your house. I live in colorado... The big mountains... Lot's of tree's, cars, etc. If this is going to be your first broadband from 56k... Than I know how you feel. Your excited rdy to try anything to get broadband. I was just like that. And I made a big mistake a lost hundreds of dollars. But it's your call. If you think it's a great idea than do it. I have no problem with it I am just telling what happend to me. Some people probably had better performance than I did who knows. What I am saying is that it SUCKED for me... thats all... :(

hm, yeah id imagine the mountains wouldn't be too generous on something like wireless broadband. it seems like wireless broadband is pretty sparse right now, or just really new because i cant find alot about it on the 'net. i still have a couple months before my contract expires with my dial up service so i have time to research all of this. for cable/dsl what is required exactly? do i have to pay setup fees for a guy to come out and install stuff in my phone line etc? and also pay for a modem etc.? the idea of not having to deal with that is what appeals to me about wireless broadband. really thats about it. but the potential problems concerning interference also bother me.

I'm very surprised at this discussion...wireless, fast internet...excellant...I've had it, loved it...ask ANY user of richochet...loved it...you can look it up...as far as some people being out of range?...that's circular, if you're not out of range, don't get the bloomin thing, if you are in range, you't get it...this is too simple...like I said, hang on to a free dialup, like netzero, and you're done...what's the discussin?

Dealer, Don't get overly infujiated.

We know your fujism runeth over, but don't smoother ReC0iL in it.:D He can't handle Endorphynated Fujilizm in it's pure state. :rolleyes: :p

gonaads...you are the best...wish we were neighbors, we'd party so hard, niether of us would post.:p

well this company is literally right down the road from me so i dont think i need to worry about being out of range of their systems. im becoming convinced this would be a more resource saving way to go for me as opposed to cable or dsl. thanks for the contributions guys and helping me find out what this technology is since i had no clue about it before.

oh, one more question. how would you set up a network with this kind of modem? i plan to have another computer and i want access to the internet from both of them. i know you just use routers and stuff with cable and dsl but would you use wireless networking cards or is it just not possible with these modems? thanks

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back