Wired Connection Fail

N

Not Bman

Ok, so I could go on about internet issues I have had my whole life, through many houses and tech but this is about a certain issue. The last 4 months or so I have been loosing connection, for a short period of time, back up, down, back up, down for awhile........back up and usually good for a day after that. Repeat.

It's quite annoying. Now from what I can tell except for one time, this issue is only me and my computer, not the other ones in the house. Today it was one of the days where it worked untill an hour ago, lost connection. It's been about an hour and a half of no connection, I restarted and turned off the router and modem 20 times in 20 different ways, no luck. I changed the cables from my 360 and my computer around to see if that would help, both dead. The internet is working upstairs on the rest of the computers.

So do ethernet cables die? How would I test that, or maybe my ethernet port is dead? I doubt 2 cables that I am using would die at the same time, I also did try both of the cables directly into the modem same issue.

This is very weird. Any ideas?

Thanks.

yes Ethernet cables can become faulty, more over the ends (connectors) can ware if you connect/disconnect a lot of times.

Get some new ones and see if that sorts it out, if not there are other gremlins lurking in your pc :D

I will hoping be going to pick up some new cables.

I don't suppose doing something with my network drivers would help, my friend insists on trying to install/reinstall those drivers, they are on board and I don't think I have ever installed/reinstalled them before, just basic windows drivers. I just did the simplistic thing ever, I rebooted and it seems to be working. Now I still don't trust it because the connection has been crap for awhile now and my cables are quite old. I am assuming it will go down again, either for a few seconds or awhile, I don't know. Any ideas guys, what could be causing connection lost like this?

If it's not the cables, is drivers all that are left?

Last edited by a moderator:
updated drivers may solve your issue, but then again it may not, although it never hurts to have the latest drivers, if the latest drivers and new cables don't help then it could be the card itself

I just installed the latest nForce drivers. Let's see what happens.

you didn't install the nvidia firewall did you? that has been known to cause a few issues

No of course not. There were only 2 options in the install, ethernet and storage drivers. So I assume I didn't install any firewall.

Well as I said, I rebooted and it worked.

But as I said in the first post, it goes a day or a bit without issues, and then has the up and down issues. So I am giving it a day and a half to see what happens.

Will post back after that.

Thanks.

I had that problem on a few XP systems a long time ago, if I remember right a couple of them reinstalling the drivers solved the problem but on one it was a power problem (I think) because I went into the properties, power management and unchecked the box to turn the device off to save power and it worked flawless from there on.

In XP navigate to device manager, expand network adapters select your network device and right click then select properties, select the power management tab then at “allow the computer to turn off this device to save power” see if it’s checked if so then uncheck it OK it and see if that helps.

One thing to note the system with the power problem would have to be rebooted quite often to restore the network until the above was unchecked.

I don't think it was a power issue but that option was selected so I did uncheck it.

Thanks for the info.

As I said, I will post back in a day or so to see what happens.

I say get a new NIC or this could have been caused by a Windows update back when it started.

6 Days ago I rebooted and my internet started to work again. That was after installing new drivers and such. So I thought I might have fixed it.

It just stopped working. This time I think hey let's try rebooting, and of course it fixed it again. Now this is another issue that started I think a couple days ago, but I think is related, when I shutdown to reboot, i get to the black screen with text, where the memory test and all that happens, and it freezes, i hit the reset button twice, same, the third time it boots into windows.

So what the heck is going on..

Takes 3 hard resets to boot into windows.

Internet connection fails after 3-6 days, fixed by a reboot.

Have you looked in event viewer?

Info about connection up or down time and why would be in there.

If Windows has no info about the problem then you should suspect the router so look at the logs for it.

I am going to look at that now.

And it's not the router, everything else using the internet in the house is working. And the router is new. Brb with details on the event viewer, but assuming it will say nothing.

*edit, nothing in the Event Viewer.

When I rebooted this time, and it fixed it. It lasted about 30 minutes I think. This time I found the "Identify & Repair Network Problems" wizard, and it fixed it. It said something about resetting the adapter. I assume this is a temporary fix just like rebooting. I will let you know.

Are you using onboard NIC or a card?

I had a motherboard once that the onboard did the same thing as your problem so I disabled it and purchased a network card.

Yes its onboard. I don't exactly have money to spare for a new NIC, unless I am 100% sure that its a dead/issue filled onboard nic card.

*it was loosing connection every couple minutes since the last time I said.

Seems to be worse when I am downloading, maxing my connection. So makes sense there is something wrong with my onboard nic, but how to be sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Getting quite annoying, I am paying for a newsgroup service I can't really use because when I am downloading at max, EIRJIEROJERJER DEAD! I have to restart and try, sometimes I can download for 30 minutes, sometimes only 5. WTF!!!

Going to see if I can find my mother board for cheap..but new...

*edit still expensive from stores, not much better on ebay :( http://www.shopbot.ca/pp-evga-nforce-780i-sli-775-a1-evga-price-99099.html

**edit Also, what is the cheapest best quality NIC card you can get? I mean like $60 or less lol

all pretty much the same, some will say netgear others something else

So I didn't end up getting any new card, yet.

Today I lost connection, and have not got it back. I was using the Repair tool and that would fix it till the next time, that didn't work. The internet in the house is working as always, just mine is dead. I can actually see and access the network, just no internet. I removed drivers, updated drivers, reinstalled drivers, changed ports on my computer, checked DNS settings, all the router tricks, etc. No luck.

I have network access, no internet access, I am the only one.

Ideas? If I can have network access then its not the card right?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back