WinXP Dualboot?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by jeeter2, Feb 27, 2005.

1. jeeter2

jeeter2 OSNN Junior Addict

I took the HP oem WinXP off my computer and installed WinXP from M$ one of the original 2001 disks, but it is showing dualboot for WinXP.

My HP oem WinXP creats a restore partition that might be the problem but I want basic WinXP my computer runs faster and has fewer problems.

I tried formating my entire HD from the WinXP disk on normal but that didnt get rid of the other WinXP that isnt there.

So how do I get rid of this other WinXP that doesnt exist on my pc?

HP Pavillion a562n
    P4 3.0E
    512MB PC3200
    200Gig HD
    GeForce 6600 GT AGP
    SB Live 5.1

2. Howling Wolf

Howling Wolf We did not deserve this !

Hello,

On desktop, right clic My Computer > Properties > Advanced > Startup & Recovery > Settings > System Startup > Edit

There you'll see the 2 different XP instances in the [Operating Systems] section, see from there if you can tell which one isn't anymore and delete accordingly.

But, on a safer side, you could simply untick, before selecting Edit, "Time to display list of operating systems", this way dual boot should be disabled in boot.ini

But [2nd], you could also reinstall your system one more time, from new: if you have a win98 boot disk, use it, when you're on the a:\ prompt, enter "fdisk /mbr", this way the Master Boot Record (responsible for keeping records of your HP's XP oem installation) will me definitely erased.
    Then reboot on your original XP cd and create partitions according to your needs; only depends on the courage you have to reinstall your whole system once again... ;)

jeeter2 likes this.
  3. jeeter2

Thanks that did the trick how ever my boot.ini still says its a multi boot system, do I change multi to single or just dont mess with it?

4. Howling Wolf

Howling Wolf We did not deserve this !

What did you do ? Just unticked "Time to display list of operating systems" ?

No, do not modify the Multi setting, it is set to Multi ( 0 ) by default, even though you do not have several operating systems installed.

Glad I helped ;)

5. jeeter2

multi is zero thanks