WinXP BSODing!

RagnaroK

Must be dreaming...
Hi,
As of late, my computer has been unusable because of this BSOD stating:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
Multiple_IRP_complete_requests

It happens just as WinXP starts loading the main memory resident programs (antivirus, firewall, etc.). It all started occuring when I installed some new updates from the Windows Update site. I don't remember exactly what the updates were, but I remember that two were driver updates (one nvidia and one for my modem, I think), one recommended update and one critical update.

I want a solution that does not involve a format, unless it is the only solution there is. I tried a repair of WinXP, but as soon as I restart, the problem comes back. I hope someone can help! Thanks in advance.

RaG

That's the only thing... After I repaired WinXP and logged on, I went to remove the updates, but there were none. So I'm assuming that they were deleted when I repaired WinXP. :(

If you can look in the Event Viewer and see if it provides any info as to why your BSOD, my guess would be a bad video driver but it could also be the modem

This error usually occurs when the I/O request packet (IRP) is sent by a driver for completion, but the job has already been done. The resolution involves updating the drivers to the most current available on the manufacturers website; not Microsoft!

For future reference, it would be wise to include the generated error number as well. That would help to narrow down the precise conflict.

Yeah. My old scanner did that on XP. Manufacturer didn't make an XP
driver for that particular model either.
:|
got a new scanner. :D

Originally posted by Smith
This error usually occurs when the I/O request packet (IRP) is sent by a driver for completion, but the job has already been done. The resolution involves updating the drivers to the most current available on the manufacturers website; not Microsoft!

For future reference, it would be wise to include the generated error number as well. That would help to narrow down the precise conflict.

Error code? Those set of numbers and letters at the bottom of a BSOD? Well they seem to change all the time, but I'll give you one I recorded down.

Multiple_IRP_complete_requests
STOP: 0x00000044 (0x817F4840, 0x00000D60, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Hope you can help me! :)

Originally posted by Sparsely
Yeah. My old scanner did that on XP. Manufacturer didn't make an XP
driver for that particular model either.
:|
got a new scanner. :D

Wish it was that easy for me... :(

Hey Ragnarok,

There's two things that I can think of that might help, but both of these are assuming that it is a driver problem. If you can boot your system in safe mode try this first:

1) Goto your device manager and starting with either the video card or the modem get rid of the installed drivers for those so that they will be 'detected' by windows as new hardware the next time you boot. Do these only 1 at a time and then reboot to see if that had any affect. If your system boots than you know which driver was causing the problem. If it doesn't work for either the vid. card or the modem I would try some other devices just in case you updated something else that you forgot about. Something similar happened to me a few months ago (I think it was my network card driver), but mine was totally DOA. I had to reinstall from a backup... fortunately it was only 3 days old.

2) If you can't boot your computer at all, hop inside the box and just pull the card. If the card isn't there I'm pretty sure XP will omit trying to load the driver in the first place. Unless it's your modem, you'll need another vid. card to plug in place of the one you have.

Hope that helps get your problem solved.

-M

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back