Winrar compression query

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Makuze, Mar 16, 2005.

1. Makuze

Makuze OSNN One Post Wonder

Hi,

I am new to this site and to file compressions in general, so excuse this newbie query.

I am wondering why my WinRar (3.42) program can not compress an EXE file, ( 14,5MB), in Windows 2000 pro?
    The archived file is in fact almost identical or slightly larger than the original.

My work-around was to split this EXE file into two files, so that I could send it by E-mail, is this the only way to do it?

The various compression settings did not make any significant change..

2. Luna

Luna OSNN Senior Addict Folding Team

Perhaps the file you are trying to compress is already compact, or unable to be compressed any further?

Not all files can be compressed with such programs (ie: mp3, jpg, most exe files)

File splits are usually the only option to get smaller file sizes.

3. Lee

Lee OSNN Proxy

Make your cluster size smaller. Yes it depends on the file, I have an ace file with filters zipped on my zip disk that is 10 mb in size when I decompress it, it's 112 mb in size.

4. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

Different data can be compressed to different degree. Text is easy to compress while executables (which often allready are compressed) are hard to compress further. I suggest you split the file (i.e. compress it in smaller volumes).