WinMX

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by riscy, May 15, 2002.

1. riscy

riscy OSNN Addict

Don't use it - it is a real b***er to uninstall (ie pretty tough, it doesn't show up in the control panel >add/remove, and the uninstall option is blocked wtf), I had to do a rollback to a previous start because

a) WinMX didn't work
    b) when I ripped it out manually, NAV messed up, !!!??? and needed a reinstall.

When I used a previous version I did actually manage to download... oh, one song.

Stick with KazaaLIte - the king of P2P!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

Thanks for the heads up. :D

3. riscy

riscy OSNN Addict

You're welcome Hipster,

Glad to be of service.

BTW the link is http://www.cleanclients.tk

(and AudioGalaxy Spywarefree is also quite good too)

4. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

Do you have Norton CleanSweep? If so, you could have used that to remove the program cleanly.

5. riscy

riscy OSNN Addict

thx for the advice madmatt

Will get Norton Cleansweep, I also use System Mechanic but forgot to use it to monitor the install of WinMX, doh!

Will remember next time :) or use Ceansweep - which should be all automated methinks, as I know Norton quite well.

6. madmatt

As long as you monitor the install with CleanSweep, CS will remove everything added when the program was installed, including registry entries. Not even the Add/Remove option does that for you. Good luck in the future.

7. riscy

riscy OSNN Addict

Installed Cleansweep, it looks cool - a bit slow searching for apps though, maybe just the first time ????

Anyway, thx for the advice madmatt.

8. JBond007NBC

JBond007NBC Guest

I have never had a problem with Winmx when it comes to removing it. Yea it doesn't snap in to control panel add-remove, but you just del the folder. I think when it comes to adding and remove or upgrading software it is wise to turn any anti-virus software off.

The new ver. of Winmx has all the features of kazza without the spyware...

Rob

9. madmatt

This is caused because CS 'sweeps' through your entire system looking for anything linked to the program you want to remove, such as your registry, icons, folders, files, etc. It does take its time, but it works very well.

10. riscy

riscy OSNN Addict

JBond

Use Kazaalite - Kazaa without the spyware!! Much better than WinMX.

11. existenz

existenz Guest

erm, no problem with WinMX here...everything's fine :rolleyes:

EDIT: btw, it's also on my Add/Remove Programs, so I do not know what is wrong with yours...

12. riscy

riscy OSNN Addict

existenz - I don't have a probelem WinMX is now removed :)

BTW when I did a search in Google re uninstall of WinMX LOTS of ppl had the same problem and wanted to get rid of it as it was useless.

Glad it works for you - but not everyone likes the same flavour - but the best is DEFINITELY KazaaLite, (IMHO)

13. purush

purush Guest

Ref: WinMX

I have the new version 3.1 and it shows in the add remove items in the control panel. It works O.K. with mutliple resources.

14. riscy

riscy OSNN Addict

try this :

go to google and do a search on uninstall WinMX, then read the tales of woe - best to avoid it.

Not just one unhappy user here - it IS a common feature, and you seem to be lucky, purush and existenz.

15. renakuajo

renakuajo Guest

i dont know i just install winmx last night and it works great, it shows in the add/remove prtograms...........Better than kazza lite?? Dont think so :D

If it is for lookin mp3's the best one is Blubster and audiogalaxy (although aint my fav)

For other stuff i used grokster but since last night i have been getting good results w/winmx

Just my 2 cents

16. Aileron

Aileron Guest

WinMx shows up in my Add/Remove. Another good program to add more servers for Winmx is Napmx. Just search for it and download it.

L8er

Aileron