Windows XP x64 free upgrade available NOW!

I am sure the retail stuff will come, could even be mentioned in speeches today.

So what happens after the 120 day trail period on the trial version of x64?

Do ya have to purchase it or can you update it... or what?

gonaads said:
So what happens after the 120 day trail period on the trial version of x64?

Do ya have to purchase it or can you update it... or what?

duno.. what happened after the 120 days trial with Win XP/2003 whichever had the trial version a while back?

perris said:
you have to enter your license number to qualify for the download...this might void the license

gotcha, thanks for clearing that up for me :)

Is it going to be possible (using two different computers one 32 bit the other 64 bit) to purchase XP home for both and then upgrade to XP 64 as I have been lead to believe that this is possible so long as it’s not a version of XP pre-installed with a BIOS sig as some version of XP 32bit (Home and professional) are as supplied by the vendor, especially as the 64 bit machine has been supplied with a BIOS sig for XP32 bit?

:)

dave holbon said:
Is it going to be possible (using two different computers one 32 bit the other 64 bit) to purchase XP home for both and then upgrade to XP 64 as I have been lead to believe that this is possible so long as it’s not a version of XP pre-installed with a BIOS sig as some version of XP 32bit (Home and professional) are as supplied by the vendor, especially as the 64 bit machine has been supplied with a BIOS sig for XP32 bit?

:)
you need xp pro bought not oem to qualify for the free exchangea

Well it's kind of dumb that they only do retail, though I understand it's to crack down on all the corp copies out there.

It's possible to get around it though which I did to protest (I got oem XP on two systems, I think I paid enough for 1 retail copy)

Now I'm just waiting for mine to arrive.

hmmm...they won't submit the form without my credit card number for a free upgrade?

what's that about?

[edit]

aha...shipping cost=12 bucks

Last edited:
people, (not microsoft people) are saying on the ms newsgroug that oem's will work also

I heard OEMs also work, anyone tried a retail XP pro on it yet?
Using an MSDE version at the moment, but will switch next time *gulp* I reformat.

perris said:
hmmm...they won't submit the form without my credit card number for a free upgrade?

what's that about?

[edit]

aha...shipping cost=12 bucks

$12.00 shipping! WT... Man you could send that CD/DVD Priority Mail for less than that. But I guess that would cover all the international orders. Free... yeah rite.

I think I'll wait. I got too much on my plate (installed on my box) to mess with it now. If I do build another box, then I'll get x64 and go full on. Plus I'll wait to see how many proggies actually go 64 bit and drivers as well. The more drivers and proggies, the smoother the transition. Less hassles and headaches.

gonaads said:
$12.00 shipping! WT... Man you could send that CD/DVD Priority Mail for less than that. But I guess that would cover all the international orders. Free... yeah rite.

I think I'll wait. I got too much on my plate (installed on my box) to mess with it now. If I do build another box, then I'll get x64 and go full on. Plus I'll wait to see how many proggies actually go 64 bit and drivers as well. The more drivers and proggies, the smoother the transition. Less hassles and headaches.

Well 12$ or 200$+

I'll opt for 12 and assume they make a few bucks on the shipping. Eh, who cares.

JRd1st said:
Only OEM licenses work. :cry:

I asked in the MS newsgroup:
"JRd1st" wrote:

| I built my own 64-bit rig and installed a retail version of WinXP-Pro on it.
| How do I get to upgrade to Win64Pro?
|
| It doesn't make sense for people that got Win32Pro "for free" to be able to
| upgrade but not those that paid for it. I realize that the pre-installed
| version isn't really "free" but it costs less than the retail version.

There is no upgrade to 64-bit.....clean install only when
you are able to purchase an OEM 64-bit version of Windows XP.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User
Microsoft Newsgroups
yup, says that on the download page too:

---
Microsoft® Windows® x64 Edition Technology Advancement Program

Technology Advancement Program Eligibility

In order to be eligible to receive Windows® XP Professional x64 Edition, your computer must have been ordered between March 31, 2003 and July 31, 2005 with Microsoft Windows® XP Pro (32 Bit) preinstalled.
---
And since I didn't buy a PC with XP preinstalled, well... too bad...

Guess I'll wait a bit longer... :crosseyed:

Luna said:
Well 12$ or 200$+

I'll opt for 12 and assume they make a few bucks on the shipping. Eh, who cares.
How about a free downloadable version??? I don't have a 4 Mbit connection for nothing you know??? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Do they actually have a set ship date for this yet?

End of April... I hate to guess! :lick:

pretty interesting;

I just applied for the upgrade, ready with the haredware product id and my xp pro id

all the app needed was my hardware id...this is interesting since I only have xp home on this lap...I still have my 32 bit pro license then

very generous

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back