Windows XP: System keeps shutting down despite power settings

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Punkrulz, Feb 7, 2009.

1. Punkrulz

Punkrulz Somewhat eXPerienced

Hey guys,

My friends running a dedicated Windows XP machine with Filemaker Pro on it. I was trying to get all of the information possible from him, but until then I'll give you what I know. I had him go over the power settings, confirming that hibernate was disabled and that the computer was set to always be on. Unfortunately, after awhile the computer still keeps shutting down.

I think this may be due to having multiple users on the system, however he wasn't able to get that information to me. Is there a way to make sure that the power settings are set on the PC globally? Would the power settings not take affect until they were set on all users? They really don't even login to the PC when it goes down, just power it on.

Thanks!

2. Johnny

Johnny .. Commodore .. Political User

Is he running an antivirus or does he have windows update set to automatic? Those are two main reasons why it would shut down ...

3. Punkrulz

WU is set to Automatic I think, but doesn't it restart, not just shut down with the light flashing? I believe the light is flashing, which is hibernate me thinks.

4. Johnny

Johnny .. Commodore .. Political User

There are times that it will shut it down and not reboot it ...

5. Admiral Michael

Admiral Michael Michaelsoft Systems CEO Folding Team

Could it be overheating? Is it a actual shutdown or a abrupt off.

6. Punkrulz

Unknown Michael, I think he goes past it and realizes it's off. It's a stock dell, so unless they improperly seated the HSF, I'm not sure. It's also not super active...

7. trukkmann

trukkmann OSNN Addict

Sounds like Standby to me, which is different from Hibernation.There's a setting in Display Properties, and depending on the mainboard there may be Standby settings in the BIOS.

8. Shamus MacNoob

Shamus MacNoob Moderator Political User

What model Dell? I have seen this happen with some Dell's and they were having trouble with there power supply's over heating