Windows XP SP2 free for all

point is, the sasser worm installs via a SSL vulnerability, if you have port 445 open and are not patched, nothing needs to be done by the user, it installs itself.

Hipster Doofus said:
Because today it is 'fixing holes' tomorrow who knows?

If people are getting caught out & patches are available then it's their fault for not knowing what they are doing. (Click this attachment, run this exe)

I don't like it because the choice is being taken out of our hands & put into someone's who has $$$$$$ for their goal.
Thats fine .. let ppl choose .. but when they don't patch and my ISP's service suffers because of some DDoS or just crazy Sasser traffic I want them to compinsate me. :)

I have a feeling that you can still turn off the Automatic Updates, if you so very desire. They just don't want the casual user being left vulnerable (i.e., they won't know to turn it off under My Computer-->Properties or to disable it in "Services"). After all, they are the ones who never use Windows Update and ignore the notifications in the Taskbar and are left vulnerable to all these internet worms. I've had the Automatic Updates turned off always, but I make sure to check the site. I prefer it that way.

Melon

With ver5 of the winupdate there is a goldsheild that sits in system tray that constantly reminds you of updates. If you click it there is a link @ the bottom of it to change your setting for automatic updates and even disable it check at all. I think its nice that it checks for the user and good for ppl that otherwise would never check for updates. I fear though that if it stays this annoying that ppl will just disable it and thus do away with it leaving them clueless just as before.

That could be it. When I first read it it sounded like they were taking control of the whole process. Much happier now. :D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back