Windows XP SP1

S

stuppy

Does anyone else find that since they installed SP1 onto their XP Systems, their system has slowed down?

I find that what physical memory is available is a lot lower then what it was without SP1.

When i boot my pc up normally i have all the shehite that windows loads neway in the background, plus NAV2002, ICQ, MSN, VNC Server , then i load Kazaa and WinMX and maybe Getright and then IE, and the mem bumps right down to like 60meg!! im like wtf! I have 256 - im sure it never went that low without SP1!.

Also IE seems really slow. Not in downloading stuff just the program loading, and anothering, it seems to have off loads where it won't d/l all the images off a page, looks geay.

Considering going back to Pre SP1 but then there is all the security fandangle thing to think of :\

Stuppy

ditch sp1, it sucks. And the security updates you can download them at winupdate

Am going to see wot everyone else says first :)

I aint noticed any differences between Sp1 and non-sp1 tbh. So i think 2night maybe, i format :)

works fine for me. didn't see any difference either way. but then again theres not supposed to be

Works fine for me too.
Did you defrag your drive after applying SP1? Installing the Servicepack means at least one GB of files have been moved. Also during installation your prefetch folder is emptied. That could explain why applications start slower the first days afterwards.
If you decide to go back to before SP you will have all the updates back that you had before.
If you consider a format, make a slipstream CD and apply SP1 this way. You may have less problems then.

4got to mention it was already a slipstreamed install
sorry :)

SP1 Has given me no grief. Why don't you get another 256mb? That might get it going again. Either that or turn some of that stuff off till needed.

No problems for me, i installed XP + SP1 from a slipstreamed CD and i must say that i think it's actually faster than my old installtion of XP with Sp1 downloaded. :p

XP with SP1 does benchmark slower BUT it is only a fraction
According to Toms hardware

NAV2002 makes my machine chug

Your problem is more than likley caused by software you've installed

try a clean boot see if theres any difference

:cool:

Hmmmm - It was a clean install about a week ago :-/

Dunno what to do. Could get some more memory I suppose :-\
I'll see

thanks for yer helpz :D

if your going pre-sp1 u can get all the updates that are in sp1 and that big security fix at that grc site. and u have sp1 without some of the features in sp1 that u don't really need.

In case somebody should be interested why Microsoft thinks servicepacks are better than patches read this .

I installed SP1 and saw no slow downs at all. Looks to me like you are loading a lot of apps for having only 256megs of ram. XP loves ram and I think another 256 megs would surprise you with the performance gains. Just my 2 cents

Check the attachment, that is what i had loaded and at the time i had 97meg of memory free. There aint really a lot loaded.

Perhaps I am being paranoid, but im sure that pre-sp1 ha dmore left when i was running same stuff. :-\
Fink im just gonna sack it and format . but bleh can't be arsed!

Just seems so laggy!.

stuppy take a screen shot of your startup. Start/run/msconfig. Startup. Let's see what's in there.

its ok i scrubbed it and installed Pre SP1 Xp :p

memory usage is the same but the pooter isa bit more nippier. Maybe when I upgrade i try sp1 again :D

thnx for yer helps guys!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back