Windows XP shuts down

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by wezman2k, Jun 18, 2002.

1. wezman2k

wezman2k Guest

hey guys. this problem has been going on ever since i installed XP. I have an emachines E Tower 466id with 192 meg of ram. i got a 60GB hard rive about a month ago. every now and then windows xp will shut down all by itself, regardless of what i'm doing. it doesn't save the settings or anything it will just turn off and go back the the emachines screen and will be just like i restarted. i don't think it has a problem with the hard drive because i had XP installed on my previous HD and it did the same thing. i'd really like to know what is up. thanks

2. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

try this:
    Right click my computer\properties\advanced\startup & recovery. Untick 'automatic restart.

3. wezman2k

wezman2k Guest

i just tried it so i'll have to see. thank god for xp-erience form! so many smart nerds on here!!! ( no offense! )

4. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

Better change that to noobie nerds. :rolleyes:

5. Yeah! All people who sign up for the forums are LOSERS!!!

6. wezman2k

wezman2k Guest

7. scsa20

scsa20 Simonsoft Network

it's true :( :rolleyes: :D

8. wezman2k

wezman2k Guest

that didn't work. now it just gives a message about making sure i have all my bios updates and that some driver is causing this and needs to be disabled. but i dunno which driver it is

9. firehawk

firehawk OSNN Addict

What is the exact message so we can decipher it.

10. RobbieSan

RobbieSan Guest

go into administrative tools and check the event log for reported errors.. hopefully it has recorded the event causing this problem...

11. wezman2k

wezman2k Guest

the message is too long to type out. and there are many different logs in the viewer. i have found that this shutdown is gauranteed to happen well updating the CS Net servers. i'm running 1.5.

12. wezman2k

wezman2k Guest

the message includes the driver "Stop: Netmotcm.sys" and some jibberish. the netmotcm.sys is the driver used for my cable modem and is updated, so i dunno why that would be causing the problem. should i try reinstalling the cable modem with the update driver and not from the disk?

13. joshuajme

joshuajme Guest

yep, could start with that. At least its not a hardware problem thats gona cost you tons to fix, just mess with it till it stops.

14. wezman2k

wezman2k Guest

it worked fine the first two times, but then of course it messed up again. maybe i should just use the old driver?

15. wezman2k

wezman2k Guest

by the way i have a Motorola SurfBoard SB4100 Cable Modem

16. Lonman

Lonman Bleh!

Go here for uninstall/installation procedures. Go here to get your most up-to-date drivers.

A USB device AND on an Emachine, dude, i feel for you - USB alone has caused major heartache for a few folks. Make sure you have all of Windows update hotfixes installed... try to locate your most current bios version, and make sure your motherboard drivers are as up-to-date as they can be. I'm not going to get more involved then this because these damn prefab systems are a pain in the butt to locate stuff for. Emachine *me shudders*.