Windows XP Setup Problem

F

Flatliner

Ok heres the deal. I set up Windows XP Home on my system but later decided to go to the Pro version. So I popped in the Pro CD started the install, and everything was working fine. It got to the part where it says Installing Devices under Windows Install, when suddenly the computer just reset, I let it restart and comes back and starts all over again. I let it run again and it reset at the same place (about 3/4 of the way through installing devices) and now it starts trying to load up the installation again, but it just goes to a black screen with a mouse cursor that I can move, but theres nothing to click on. Is there anyway to cancel the setup? I've tried Booting from CD and cancelling that way but it still keeps trying to install. Any suggestions?

Have you tried booting without the CD in the CD Rom? Is it able to boot without it?

Yeah, it immedietly starts trying to install XP again, then goes to that black screen with the mouse cursor. But no, I can't get Windows to load because it just starts trying to install again.

This has happened to me when installing xp over an existing linux partition. I usually use the floppy that came with my hdd to reformat the drive and then begin the windows installation again. If youve got a floppy, set your bios to boot it, write zeros to the drive if necessary, and begin again.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back