Windows XP Remote Desktop

A

andre9540

Well the remote desktop is not working everything else in the network is working yet this is the only thing, i think it might be a port issue and was wonder the port(s) that windows remote desktop uses

Also i can not see my second comp in the add users screen

Both comps have PRO and both are logged in as admin
anything else
thankyou

remote desktop used the RDP protocol which uses port 3389. are you running a firewall or router.

Yes but the problem is that both comps see each other in the workgroup MSHOME yet when i try to add a user from another computer it the second comp just doesn't show up

Originally posted by andre9540
Yes but the problem is that both comps see each other in the workgroup MSHOME yet when i try to add a user from another computer it the second comp just doesn't show up

what you mean like at a user from computer A to a group on computer B?

Comp a and comp b are on MSHOME(my network) have a router and a firewall Norton FIre and Linksys router i can see and edit both comp thgur network yet when it come to remote desktop it doesn't see one another.

sorry i am not quite understanding what your problem is.

you can not see other computers in the little pull down menu in remote desktop. that is normal. if you haven't connected to it it will not show up. to use remote desktop you need to be able to access port 3389. try disableing your firewalls on your home network, you don't really need them.

am i close??

Well yah they don't on the connection tab but when you set up the users that are allowed there should be the remote user that can access the client

Well yah they don't on the connection tab but when you set up the users that are allowed there should be the remote user that can access the client

ok if you can't access a machine with remote desktop you need to allow traffic on port 3389 on what ever router/software firewall you are using.

above you said that you have a router. behind it you have machines running software firewalls. try disableing those software firewalls. and also open up port 3389 on your router.

Also i can not see my second comp in the add users screen

what do you mean by add users screen??

alright i haqve norton personal fire wall but that port operates when the REmote desktop starts working right? Ill give it try thanks

alright i haqve norton personal fire wall but that port operates when the REmote desktop starts working right? Ill give it try thanks

yep...as soon as norton personal firewall detects traffic on that port it pops up a little window asking you if you want to allow it.

if you want to add users on one computer and have them automatically picked up by the other then you have to tell the other to pull its user list from the computer you want to add users on, but this isnt really a good idea on a home network as it results in a client server relationship and not a more home friendly peer to peer network.

Originally posted by Geffy
if you want to add users on one computer and have them automatically picked up by the other then you have to tell the other to pull its user list from the computer you want to add users on, but this isnt really a good idea on a home network as it results in a client server relationship and not a more home friendly peer to peer network.

what you are talking about is a domain, which i don't think he has set up. unless he wants to get in to some non-userfriendly networking stuff a workgroup is all he needs.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back