windows xp remote control

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by bluegrass67, May 31, 2002.

1. bluegrass67

bluegrass67 Guest

is there a way to remotely control windows 95, 98 & 2000 from windows xp aside from using third party application? tried looking at xp's remote assitance but i think it works only with other computers that has windows xp installed... remote desktop connection works the other way around...

appreciate your help.
    thanks

2. loppdawg69

loppdawg69 Guest

i know with terminal services on a windows 2000 server you can do it using remote desktop connection and possibly windows 2000 pro but not sure about pro...but i dont think you can do 9X, ME or NT4

3. Reg

Reg eXperienced!

Windows 95... no. On Windows 98/Me, you can use Winpopup. For Windows 2000 (all grades), you can install Microsoft Terminal Services (Windows 2000 Server, Windows 2000 Advanced Server, and .NET Servers have this preinstalled) which will allow connections just like Remote Desktop (in fact, Terminal Services and Remote Desktop are compatible services, although I like Remote Desktop's Client much better).

4. loppdawg69

loppdawg69 Guest

Whats winpopup??

5. JJB6486

JJB6486 Retired Mod Political User

Use Remote Desktop. If you need to use 9x clients, there is a Terminal Services client for 9x you can download. NT-based OSes will already have a Terminal Services client in the OS.

JJB6486

6. oDin

oDin xp m0nk3y

with win2k and winXP you can "remote control" it using terminal services/remote desktop, or connect to an admin share. with win9x you can't, unless you install 3rd party software. i luv the remote desktop feature of winXP...its soooo kewl.

oDin.

7. JJB6486

JJB6486 Retired Mod Political User

No, there is a client program that will allow 9x to connect to a Terminal Services/Remote Desktop server. 9x can connect to a TS server, but you cant connect TO a 9x.

You may also want to look at WinVNC:

http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/

JJB6486