Windows XP Pro, Bad image on laptop?

Punkrulz

Somewhat eXPerienced
Hey guys,

My company has provided me a work laptop to use out in the field. It's an adequately supplied laptop that should be able to do backflips with the programs that I run on it. Unfortunately this is the result of an image that I believe my company pushes out to the laptops instead of doing them all manually (which makes sense).

One of the biggest pet peeves I have with this laptop is the insane amount of time that it takes to do simple processes. It can take upwards of 2 minutes (occasionally) to bring the run window up when I do start -> run. Some programs that are light take equally the same amount of time to open up. If I type my password wrong, I have to wait another 2 minutes just for it to tell me it failed for me to retype the password.

Is there anything that I can check, or repair, without having to send the laptop back to have them re-image it (with possibly the same bad image)?

Thanks!

You can check the startup, and disable anything that runs at startup that you don't need. Office, Adobe and other programs are particular culprits. If you don't want to mess with MSCONFIG at the command. try this tool http://codestuff.tripod.com/ It is basically like the Task Manager on Steroids, you can disable startup programs, Services or processes all from the same app.

Based on what you have said it sounds like your trying to login using a roaming profile that is saved on the laptop. I take it it displays the domain name rather then the laptop's computer name in the logon to area when you try to login?
The delay is caused by the laptop trying to contact a domain controller to verify your login details usually and eventually giving up and using the locally stored copy of your login details to verify. There are ways to fix the laptop but you need to have admin rights on the laptop to do it.

Based on what you have said it sounds like your trying to login using a roaming profile that is saved on the laptop. I take it it displays the domain name rather then the laptop's computer name in the logon to area when you try to login?
The delay is caused by the laptop trying to contact a domain controller to verify your login details usually and eventually giving up and using the locally stored copy of your login details to verify. There are ways to fix the laptop but you need to have admin rights on the laptop to do it.

Under most circumstances, I would agree with this! However, there are a few reasons I know this is not the case.

1) When inputting the correct password, it immediately loads everything as it normally should. It's only inputting the wrong password that the computer hangs on picking that up. Even when connecting the Cisco VPN client first then doing so, it still hangs up.
2) I find it also strange that most of my problems occur when running mundane things... start -> run shouldn't be affected by roaming profiles at all, that's what's really strange. Oh and of course,
3) I just double checked, all profiles are local. ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back