Windows XP Partitions

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by -seek-, Mar 25, 2005.

1. -seek-

-seek- OSNN Addict

Hi, i was wanding if there is some sort of a limit to the size of partition in WIndows XP. I just bought a Maxtor 300gb HD and it shows up in the BIOS as 300bg but in windows comptuer management its at "128.00 GB"????

so do i have to split my new hard drive to get the full use or what?

BTW it is a S-ATA, and is the second in my sys. :)

-thank you very much

2. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

I've heard a lot of people with the same issue regarding large SATA drives and windows. I haven't used one myself as my board doesn't support it but if you do a search in this forum, I'm sure you'll find what you wanted to know.

-seek- likes this.
  3. -seek-

-seek- OSNN Addict

i havent felt this stuck with my computer eve.. i look everywhere but the only place that says its 300GB is in the BIOS... AHHH!

4. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

What XP are you running. Original? SP1? SP2?

Only Windows 2000 SP3 upward and Windows XP SP1 upward supports partitions larger than 137gb but not by default. You have to make a very minor change to the registry.

Microsoft

Yours says 128g but what the hey.....it's close. :D

Edit//Update info. :D

-seek- likes this.
  5. vivid_vibe

vivid_vibe OSNN Senior Addict

Odd, because I just built a new rig with a 250GB SATA HD and Windows XP Pro SP2 detected it correctly. Maybe SP2 corrected that problem?

6. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

sp1+ support drives larger than 130GB as they enable 48-bit LBA by default.

7. -seek-

-seek- OSNN Addict

yup, i just found out this morning... i tried installing the drive on a fresh windows install (so there ya go). it's too bad i formatted the drive becuase i thought i could fix it that way. sure hope i can get my backup files back up and runnin' or I may alot of work on my hands.