windows xp "memory dump"

Black-Syth

Comalies
A little while ago my PIII pc crashed. I got the blue screen upon startup and it told me something along the lines of "memory dump error" or "memory dump not found" I re-installed XP and everything works fine... but i wish to know what this "memory dump" is and why this happaned. To me this happaned out of the blue....

When your pc crashes XP creates a memory dump file, depending on what you have specified a full memory dump, means the whole content of your ram when the system crashed is saved to the file, or a mini dump that only records certain memory addresses. These dump files can be used for debugging, ....by some rare experts. :( ;)

yoyo...I know it's been said that there are not too many people that can read these memory dumps...this is not true...( I actually thought you could read a memory dump).

I've had debugging performed for me from collegues, and it's very simple for anyone to get microsoft to read the dump as well.

this is far from the useless feature that some people claim it is, and error reporting should actually be encouraged, rather then discouraged as we've usually told users, as this feature surely helps in research and developement

now, I don't think it's neccessary to have these dumps if you have no access to people who can read them, and if you are not prone to wait for microsft to help, and if you don't care to be a part of ms's research and developement strategy

never the less, it's a far easier task to have these read then some would have us believe...

not alot of harm allowing a memory dump, just in case something happens that's urgent for you to discover a cause, by whatever means neccessary.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back