Windows XP -- Lose Intenet Connection when Idle too long

Sorry, we're a bit out of order.

I will run the script again and reboot.

I will check the dns server on the other machines. Is the command for Windows Me different than the one for XP?

I dont think so - should be the same... Dont worry - i can imagine how frustated you are by this as it makes little sense....

The command for Windows ME is winipcfg. It does not reveal what the DNS server is, but all the settings seem the same. I know that in my router set up information there is a DNS server specified. I think it comes from my BT set up. But then, since the router is the same for all the computers, that can't be the problem.

It must be something with this computer or with Windows XP. And it's completely beyond me.

Well, im sorry - i really have no idea beyond this what the problem could be....

Perhaps someone else has an idea about this?

Are you using Zone Alarm for your firewall? I had the same problem figured out it was zone alarm and switched to norton.......problem solved.

Yes I am using Zone Alarm. But I stopped using it for awhile and this did not solve the problem.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Ben

Problem Solved

It WAS Zone Alarm after all!!!!

Does anyone know a way to configure Zone Alarm so that it won't cause a problem. Or do I need to pay for a firewall?

Does anyone have any ideas why Zone Alarm caused this problem.

I'm off to USENET to see what others have said.

Ben:D :D

Further information is available at the Zonealarm forums under the section name Access.

http://forum.zonelabs.com/zonelabs

In sum, there were 3 factors causing my connection to drop.

1. The network card was configured to power off after a period of inactivity.

2. The router was set to disconnect the internet after a period of inactivity.

3. The firewall needs advanced configuring. (I have not tried to reconfigure it yet but will follow the instructions on the Zonealarm forum. But right now all is working well using the Windows XP built-in firewall.)

Thanks to all again

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back