Windows XP Logo (Use of) Copyright

What we are talking about here is what’s legal and what is not, and enforcement is not an issue here, that’s another subject.

Using the XP logo is illegal, just because you have not been prosecuted yet is no defence, or to say that an implicit agreement exists, is to me, an anathema, as this has to be in writing, it can’t be inferred.

What’s good for the goose is good for the gander.

Talking about prosecution is way out of line tho. We are not making any kind of profit from having their logo on our site (wherever it is...)

Belive me, if MS thought we were breaking any copyright laws they would jump at the chance to tell us to remove it, therefore if they don't consider this site to have an copyright, we don't so there is nothing to worry about...

Mr. Holton, I am sure your opinion on this subject was carefully heard and considered by the modulators.
But it seems they are satisfied with the current situation, and have no intention of banning,warning or removing the Xp logo or its users.

Again there is no problem with the XP logo (it’s only been given as an example) my problem is with the application of dual standards regarding some moderators and the site rules.

Life isn't black and white I guess.
every community has its rules , I guess this community has rules that apply to certain types of software and don't apply to other types.

Having that rule dispels the blame from us, in the case of a problem and as it is a rule also gives us the right to remove the offending file if there is a problem.

Its not strictly inforced unless there is a problem, but it is a rule nevertheless.

The Xp-erience community and users will post information, questions, signatures, avatars etc.. and there own will, most have the common sence not to post things that are deemed to be offensive or of an illegal nature, obviously with 18,000 public users things from time to time will slip through.

If we do something to offend others, be it a corporation or a single person, then they will tell us, and the problem will be rectified.

It's as simple as that really.

Electronic Punk: -

Don’t defend the indefensible. It’s either (copyright) correct or not. Seeming views of not being prosecuted are irrelevant. This is one of the subjects I feel strongly about.

If you ignore your own rules where will this lead. I notice that the persons responsible for the propagation of the XP logo and associated font’s have kept very quiet.

You can’t behave in this way and expect everyone else to abide by a different set of rules can you?

You either have a set of rules or you don’t.

Please don’t take this as a personal jibe against you it’s just that you seem to have done all the work and are taking all the flak whilst others hide in the shadows.

Actually, Microsoft endorses the use of the XP logo and other logos such as Internet Explorer as long as it is pro-Microsoft for the simple reason that it spreads publicity for the company. Microsoft asks those whom design websites made for MSIE to place an “optimized for MSIE” on their website, because it spreads the MS name across the Internet.

Now, you use the law as an excuse to say we shouldn’t be using the logo. Does that mean every time I get my picture taken I should blur out any logos on my shirt, pants, hat, or a Pizza Hut restaurant in the background, or my TV because it has the SONY logo on it? For that reason alone, your argument would never hold up in a court of law, especially since we are pro-Microsoft and we provide the means of free transfer of great information and help.

Thank you.

madmatt: -

You’ve missed the point the use of any copyright material without permission is and always has been illegal.

Do you get permission from NIKE before you put your sneaks on every morning?

I am sponsored by Budweiser.

As for a double standard there is none. I am very strict on the mods and you won't see the crap I give them in the mod forum.

The forum rule is there as a backup and gives us the right to remove items if they are requested by the author. By signing up to the forums you have accepted these guidelines.

I can definatly understand your point but it does apply to everyone... if there is a complaint I will look into it, as I do with all complaints about XP-erience.

*not getting annoyed or anything tho, sat here with a stella, listening to loud music and watching, none other than, the antiques roadshow.*

grrr, why wasn't i told the antiques roadshow was on!!!!? :p

Well at least it’s caused someone somewhere to think before judging others on their actions.

With the sword of Damocles’ hanging over all our heads in the shape of MS’s next generation of “hire here” and “pay as you go” software, it’s going to be difficult if the hardware abstraction layer is introduced into PC’s (at the BIOS level) to actually buy any software product at all.

What’s next?

Originally posted by MiseryQv2.1
HAAAA HAAAAA HAAAAAAAA!!!

DLing software and Corp CDs are illegal,,,
Using Copyrighted logos are OK!!!

Well he's right ya know...

Not always or even sometimes but I liike You!!!

Keep your head down.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back