Windows XP in windows 7

homesick1337

Computer Lover
I wanted to know is there a way to configure my menu and task bar to be exactly like windows xp? If so how would I attempt this?

Thank You!!!!!

This isn't going to help you (in the short term) so don't hit me with a hammer.

When I first started using Windows 7 I hated the new taskbar. However, after spending some time using it, it actually is much better than that of XP. So, I think you shouldn't look back to making it look and feel like XP. I don't think there is a way to configure the taskbar/start menu to look like XP as it has been re-designed rather than just improved in this new version.

right click the task bar, choose properties, set "taskbar buttons" to combine when taskbar is full", check "use small icons".

Thats the closest you'll get.

The start menu? There is no way to go back to the classic look. They took it out ...

There's an application to bring about a start menu similar to that of XP/2k..... but it doesn't REPLACE the original Start menu... it just adds another one to the taskbar. I'd have to agree with ming... you may not like it now, but it'll grow on you.

Why exactly don't you like it? 2k/XP/Vista didn't have Aero Peek which allowed you to see what was in a window just by hovering over it's logo on the task bar. System tray icons are managed a little better, automatically hiding them to minimize the amount of space taken up. The start menu, although rather similar to Vista's, allows programs to also have their own list of recently opened files, such as Photoshop keeping a list of images you opened. It's also quite easy to search for a program or file right in the start menu.

This isn't going to help you (in the short term) so don't hit me with a hammer.

When I first started using Windows 7 I hated the new taskbar. However, after spending some time using it, it actually is much better than that of XP. So, I think you shouldn't look back to making it look and feel like XP. I don't think there is a way to configure the taskbar/start menu to look like XP as it has been re-designed rather than just improved in this new version.

My problem is how my little short cuts are now also bars when I click them. If I could seperate the two and just have the short cuts remain there and the bars on a seperate area I wouldn't mind.

How did you get used to this?

There's an application to bring about a start menu similar to that of XP/2k..... but it doesn't REPLACE the original Start menu... it just adds another one to the taskbar. I'd have to agree with ming... you may not like it now, but it'll grow on you.

Why exactly don't you like it? 2k/XP/Vista didn't have Aero Peek which allowed you to see what was in a window just by hovering over it's logo on the task bar. System tray icons are managed a little better, automatically hiding them to minimize the amount of space taken up. The start menu, although rather similar to Vista's, allows programs to also have their own list of recently opened files, such as Photoshop keeping a list of images you opened. It's also quite easy to search for a program or file right in the start menu.

True I think my problem is more cosmetics. I keep a list of all my short cuts on my taskbar and expand the bar so I have 2 rows instead of 1. So that I have the top row with all my short cuts and the bottom row with my program bars that are active.

Now since the change when I click the short cut it becomes the program and I got short cuts then a program bar then more short cuts then another program bar and it drives me crazy I guess is the problem. It seems so messy.

It's actually quite elegant, you can middle click an already running program to launch another copy :)

It's actually quite elegant, you can middle click an already running program to launch another copy :)

Thanks just tested that out... any word on how to group the opened programs together?

Thanks btw for the info and helping me out!

My problem is how my little short cuts are now also bars when I click them. If I could seperate the two and just have the short cuts remain there and the bars on a seperate area I wouldn't mind.

How did you get used to this?

I'm not 100% sure what you mean, but you can still have your shortcuts on the taskbar and have it split into two rows, 1 for your shortcuts and 1 for the task windows.

Better still, if they're shortcuts to folders, then why not right-click and drag to the Windows Explorer icon and Pin it to the Jump List? You can do the same for documents such as Excel and other apps.

Attachments

• Taskbar.jpg
    Taskbar.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 183
Thanks just tested that out... any word on how to group the opened programs together?

Thanks btw for the info and helping me out!

Not tried, but thumbnail preview should allow you to just click the app you want from a bunch and go.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back