Windows XP Gaming Issue

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by NightHawk_450, Jul 2, 2002.

1. NightHawk_450

NightHawk_450 OSNN Addict

When I exit a game, under running windows XP prof, I need to reboot in order to use my machine effienctly. My whole computer slows down to a 486....Can someone help me???:confused:
  2. jonifen

jonifen pffff...

any game in particular?
    open task manager up (start, run, and type "taskmgr")

check to see if the game is open there still. i used to have this problem with Unreal Tournament on WinXP... compatibility mode sorted it i found.
  3. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Between Austin and Tampa
    also include your system specs if you can and what kind of problems you are getting just running the game without rebooting... do you get errors or do you get just a system slowdown ?
  4. koko

koko Got Root?

Columbia, S.C.
    the nimbda virus is known for causing a general system slowdown. done a check lately?
  5. Krux

Krux Nissan Powered

Windows ME is still the gaming OS:D (don't know how that happen..??)
  6. RobbieSan

RobbieSan Guest

is this happening with all games or any in particular? I agree with Sazar, a dxdiag report would be helpful..

start > run > dxdiag > save to text file > copy contents of file and paste here

just wondering what versions of drivers you have..
  7. FoSsiL

FoSsiL Guest

Windows Explorer caches DLLs (Dynamic-Link Libraries) in memory for a period of time after the application using them has been closed. This can be an inefficient use of memory.
    1. Find the key [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer].
    2. Create a new DWORD sub-key named 'AlwaysUnloadDLL' and set the default value to equal '1' to disable Windows caching the DLL in memory.
    3. Restart Windows for the change to take effect.
    I tried this after running a intense program, then watched the task manager; memory recovered it self.
  8. napalmnthemorning

napalmnthemorning Moderator

I would suggest a couple programs.
    O & O CleverCache Pro
    I use this program and it works great at utilizing memory for games and then balancing necessary memory when restoring back to the desktop without loosing memory that is still stuck in your games video card memory.

I would also consider Powerstrip 3.3