Windows XP folder options question

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by wassup, Aug 9, 2003.

1. wassup

wassup Guest

I have partitioned my hard drives to store the OS on C:, Apps on D: and Files on E:. For some reason, my D: drive is set up as a Music Folder? I know you can change the options of a specific folder you create to be documents or music or photos or videos and the folder will give you specfic options for that group. But when I select the D: Drive, it 'thinks' my applications are music because the D: is set up the list the folders as music. I can not for the life of me figure out how to get the D: drive to think the folder the applications are stored in are just Documents. Any help would be great. I hope I explained that well enough.

2. lechtard

lechtard Guest

hmm ... could'nt you just change the drive letters ..

3. wassup

wassup Guest

I dont understand how changing the Drive Letters would help? Each folder has on option in properties to customize the folder for a certain view. My Drive D:, when clicked on from my computer, opens a list of folders with giant music note in the bottom right of the screen and the options for music in the left column. It thinks my D: Drive is for music? Now there is no option in properties of the D: drive for customizing the drive for a certain view

4. yoyo

yoyo _________________

The information is stored in the registry somewhere in

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\Bags

This key contains many subkeys, by default up to 400. These are the saved folder customizations.

One of these subkeys is your D drive. The difficulty now is to find out which one.

I'd suggest get RegShot (tiny utility that doesn't require installation). Start Regshot and open an Explorer window to your D drive. In Regshot click "1st shot", when finished change some aspects of the D: explorer window, change window size or position, switch to tile or list view..., close the window, back in Regshot click "2nd shot" and when finished "compare". This opens a text file which under "values modified" contains several references to a key like

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-1390067357-113008714-854265398-500\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\Bags\36\Shell\WinPos800x600(1).right: 0x00000323

The number after ..\Bags\ in this case 36 is what we are looking for.

Now open regedit to

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\Bags

find subkey 36 and open its subkey "shell"

In the right pane there should be a string value named "Folder Type" which has the value "Music". Doubleclick on "Folder Type" and change the value to "Documents" (everything without quotes). Close regedit.

Maybe there is a more simple solution but that's how I would do it. Hope it works.