Windows XP expires on June 30

Discussion in 'Submitted News' started by binoyxj, Jun 29, 2008.

1. binoyxj

binoyxj PrOuD InDiAn

When it was launched in October 2001, the new version of Microsoft’s operating system for personal computers, Windows XP was so named for the new eXPerience it provided.

Tomorrow, XP will spell eXPiry. Microsoft will stop selling the XP version to retailers and PC manufacturers from June 30. They have been asked to stop preloading XP on their products from that date. There is a small exception made for low cost platforms, which will be able to continue loading the stripped down ‘home’ version of XP for another 6 months.

http://tec-talkz.blogspot.com/2008/06/software-that-refuses-to-die.html

Perris Calderon likes this.
  2. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

be a sad day, xp was one excellant operating system

when do they end security support?

3. loaderbull

loaderbull OSNN Junkie

Perris Calderon likes this.
  4. binoyxj

binoyxj PrOuD InDiAn

Yea they are to provide support for another 6 years!!!

5. chastity

chastity Moderator Political User

Actually at Dell for a extra 50 bucks and given product line offers a downgrade from Vista to XP. Though the downgrade is limited to the versions of Vista that offer the right to do so.

All kind's of updates including security are good till 2014 for all versions of XP.

6. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

I wonder if you will still be able to use Genuine Advantage to report you have a bogus copy on your computer and need a legitimate licence key.

If so, just change the key on your machine to a bogus one off the web and dial in to get a new liscence.

Plan B. Have they changed the Ultimate liscence? It allows you to downgrade to XP at any time.

Are the third world versions still available? Or have they gone over to a crippled, minimized version of VISTA there?

I think XP is a long way from being dead.

For one thing most corporations are NOT accepting VISTA machines yet. My company has 150k XP desktops and none of the replaced machines in the last 18 months have had VISTA. For that matter we are currently developing multi million dollar software projects based on XP.

7. American Zombie

American Zombie Moderator Staff Member Political User

Company I work for just went from NT to XP Pro this year so I am sure there are no plans for Vista deployment.

8. roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT Builder/Installer

For what it's worth, I think Vista is a good thing overall. But I agree that XP will be around for a long time. It's only natural given how long a mainstream run it's had, since they never had so many years between desktop Windows versions before. I don't count that XP x64 came out in 2005, or various other flavors of XP such as MCE 2005 or Windows Fundamentals for Legacy PCs.

On a side note, for anyone on here who hasn't played with ...Fundamentals... (FLP), it's a light version of XP but deployed the same way that Vista is. That is, a WIM image file.

9. TuchMiWiWi

TuchMiWiWi OSNN One Post Wonder

Where does this leave people who bought the Eee-PC and other small devices which cannot run Vista on those specs.

10. fitz

fitz Just Floating Along Staff Member Political User Folding Team

tuch - i would say it leaves them running linux

beyond that - all this means is they won't be selling XP anymore.. you can still run XP..

11. chastity

chastity Moderator Political User

Also XP for Eee PC and other systems like it are still good with XP, just the rest of the PC market can't get sell systems with XP. The Eee PC can and will be sold with XP for a while still.