Windows x64 Apps

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by vern, May 29, 2006.

1. vern

vern Dominus Political User Folding Team

Just one quick question ... is there a lot of compatability problems when using x64 as compared to 32-bit? I have recently bought a 4400+ AMD X2 and wanted to be sure that everything works fine ... like World of Warcraft, Steam, Civ4, OpenOffice, and many other open source apps that I use.

2. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

Most apps will work without a problem, thanks to the WOW64 subsystem. However, anything that installs a driver (like antivirus and defrag tools), or a shell extension (like Windows Desktop Search) won't work unless it's specifically built for x64.

3. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

4. NetRyder

Ah yes. Vern, if you decide to try XP x64, let me know if you'd like to contribute to the wiki that's linked to in the thread mentioned above. :)

5. vern

Yes, I'm going to try x64 and contribute until I have to pull my hair out. Will check back in a few days when I get my parts. 3 day ground blows, but it's better than an extra 150 with the regular FedEx option at NewEgg.

6. vern

After thinking it over, it seems whether I use x64 or not depends on one thing ... will my Belkin USB wireless adapter have drivers? I don't feel like running cat5 to my desktop ... err ... I won't. :(

7. NetRyder

What's the model number?

8. vern

F5D7050

Quoted from:
    http://www.iexbeta.com/wiki/index.php/Windows_Vista_Hardware_Compatibility_List

Hopefully it will at least work with WEP ... even if I don't have all the features.