Windows Vista RC1 installation

M

Mecham

Windows Vista installtion on RC1 is so slow, in fact it has taken 2hrs 20mins to get to 73%... Beta 2 was a little slow on installation, but, not this bad.

I actually don't know enough about the installation process of Windows Vista at the moment because I have not sat down to read about the installation process at the moment, because the only way to install at the moment is through Windows XP with WinXPSP2. When you install it backs up the files of the original OS and installs Vista on the same drive...? Not sure if this is correct, but this is what I would imagine the installation process is at this stage of development.

Copying Windows files (78%) :cry: after 2hrs 50mins approx
Expanding files
Installing features
Installing updates
Compleating installation

First off, RC1 is not yet out. If you are referencing the most recent build that is a pre-RC1 release.

What are your system specs?

wow, that is incredibly slow

the last few builds i've used installed in ~45 minutes. thats from fresh, not over xp. During setup you can select which drive you want to intsall on, so you don't *have* to install over XP if its on the same machine, and if its a production/main machine with all your data on then its highly recommended to use a seperate drive or partition to install vista on.

Either way theres no logical reason i can think of for instalation to take that long except for a faulty disc or drive

First off, RC1 is not yet out. If you are referencing the most recent build that is a pre-RC1 release.

What are your system specs?

Yeah I meant Pre...?

On a laptop at the moment which I am testing Vista on... My main machine is the best to run Vista on but, I have so many files on there, it will tajkes over a week to back up the data. So the laptop is the best option.

P4 3.0Ghz HT
500MB DDR (I realise this will have to be upgraded)
nvidia 5200 FX???? 64Mb GFX card (I realise this will have to be upgraded)
60Gb HDD

I ran the compatability ptogram and the GFX was the only part of the laptop which needs upgrading. I would upgrade the RAM as well.

P.S. what's with the popup windows on the forum...? it's bl***y annoying...? 888.com advertising

MINIMUM specs for memory 512, you barely covered it...

the video you dont need to upgrade unless you want all the visual bells and whistles...

I have seen pics of it booting on systems with MUCH less power than yours, I do NOT however, know the load times..

I do know this for certain: If you have an existing XP build and you install vista it is extroirdinairely slllooooooooowwwwww!!!!...

MINIMUM specs for memory 512, you barely covered it...

the video you dont need to upgrade unless you want all the visual bells and whistles...

I have seen pics of it booting on systems with MUCH less power than yours, I do NOT however, know the load times..

I do know this for certain: If you have an existing XP build and you install vista it is extroirdinairely slllooooooooowwwwww!!!!...

I have been so busy today I have been talking backwards, I think it's called a Blonde Day :) I did mean to say512 not 500, I have 2Gb of DDR on my main PC.

Yeah but can you boot directly on a free partition without an OS in place... because I thought the disk was not bootable...? and you can only run this within Windows XP...?

Last edited:
I have been so busy today I have been talking backwards, I think it's called a Blonde Day :) I did mean to say512 not 500, I have 2Gb of DDR on my main PC.

Yeah but can you boot directly on a free partition without an OS in place... because I thought the disk was not bootable...? and you can only run this within Windows XP...?

1) Disc formed from iso image is bootable 2) Dont try to install from within XP etc, just change your bios boot priority.to CD or DVD.
3)Just prepare a partion via Partition Magic etc... choose install and wait for choice to nominate this partition or any other empty/ formatted partition other than used by XP .
4) Use Vista Boot Pro afterwards for proper boot loading /naming of selection .

1) Disc formed from iso image is bootable 2) Dont try to install from within XP etc, just change your bios boot priority.to CD or DVD.
3)Just prepare a partion via Partition Magic etc... choose install and wait for choice to nominate this partition or any other empty/ formatted partition other than used by XP .
4) Use Vista Boot Pro afterwards for proper boot loading /naming of selection .

Thanks...

I got it all sorted. The problem was with the DVD reader, it just happens to be the slowest reader on the planet. Toshiba make great laptops but (can I say this "Crap...") DVD burners and readers. It only burns at 1x speed which is totally naff and reads at 10 I think. Which again is totally naff, which was the reason why it took so long to install.

Ont he whole I am impressed with Pre-RC1. it's pretty stable although at the moment there are a number of programs which need to be updated by Toshibia which I have been informed by them will be before the final release. I wont hold my breath then...? :)

Thanks...

I got it all sorted. The problem was with the DVD reader, it just happens to be the slowest reader on the planet. Toshiba make great laptops but (can I say this "Crap...") DVD burners and readers. It only burns at 1x speed which is totally naff and reads at 10 I think. Which again is totally naff, which was the reason why it took so long to install.

Ont he whole I am impressed with Pre-RC1. it's pretty stable although at the moment there are a number of programs which need to be updated by Toshibia which I have been informed by them will be before the final release. I wont hold my breath then...? :)
I was just going to inquire about your DVD reader speed.. 10x is not a fast read speed but its not slow either, its probably not reading at the maximum rate.

P.S. what's with the popup windows on the forum...? it's bl***y annoying...? 888.com advertising

There should be no popups on this site at all, please double check that it is from this site that the popups are originating, and if so please create a thread in the feedback forum so that the problem may be fixed by ElectronicPunk.

Thank you,
Teh Staff :D

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back