Windows Vista Build 5744.16384 Released

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Electronic Punk, Oct 6, 2006.

1. Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk Administrator Staff Member Political User Folding Team

You can grab it from Connect, more details to come!

2. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

Last build released to us before RTM, eh? :)
    Will start the download when I get back home tonight.

3. Mecham

Mecham Vista bug finder

Holly cr**...? I don't know what Microsoft have done to this build but, it installed in 30 with all the other cr** and loading desktop for the first time total time was around 35 minutes. It installed a lot faster than previous builds which I was impressed with.

Only one thing, apart from the fact it runs smoother than RC1 I cannot seam to find what has been changed. I could be to do with the fact it's 02:00 and my eyes are not functioning correctly due to being tired...:sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping:

4. kop48

kop48 OSNN Addict

lol glad to see it's running smoothly - I can't wait to get my paws on it! :D

5. kop48

kop48 OSNN Addict

6. Brad

Brad Moderator Political User Folding Team

Anyone know if I can install over RC1 with this?

7. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon The One and Only

Mecham: you think that's fast.... you shoulda seen the one version of Longhorn i was able to get my grubby little mits on. i'd swear it was up and running in maybe 15 minutes at most, from restart prior to starting install, to booting.

the question i'm asking myself is..... do i REALLY wanna download ANOTHER version of vista? i just downloaded build 5728 last week......

8. Brad

why not?

Installing as an upgrade now....let's see how it goes

Last edited: Oct 7, 2006
  9. Lack

Lack OSNN Junior Addict

10h and it's mine :)

10. Brad

Running it now....is this RC2?

11. Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk Administrator Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Using 20% of 2gigs of Ram on this laptop, not sure how much this is down, but I like it :)

12. Brad

I think that is down.

13. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

:D I cant wait till monday when I can fire this up on my core 2 duo E6700 :)

Borrowed a 1gb flash drive to see what it does with that supercache/fetch thing :)

14. kop48

kop48 OSNN Addict

Man, I installed this and it decided about half-way through the first session that the network would stop working. I rebooted, and the same story - the network card refused to get an IP. Anyone else come across this?

15. GEN3RIC

GEN3RIC Moderator Folding Team

You mean they allow you to use that through USB? I thought that was a hybrid-HDD function only. Most usb flash drives arent even that fast, especially through USB.

16. kop48

kop48 OSNN Addict

Hmmm... that network issue worked itself out, but I've found a really annoying bug. If you try to do any kind of search from the start menu, it goes 'Cannot find the program for the specified extension' or something along those lines. That's a pretty big bug to be in the pre-RTM build... :-/

17. GEN3RIC

GEN3RIC Moderator Folding Team

is that in this build only? i never had any issues with the search there.

18. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon The One and Only

well.... the hybrid HDD crap i think was for the most part for extremely fast booting. the pen drive stuff seems to be mostly for improved performance in Vista.

19. kop48

kop48 OSNN Addict

I haven't had a chance to run any other builds. I think I'm just going to wait till it goes RTM. Hopefully all the UI bugs will be fixed at least. In order to try to duplicate the problem I had:
    * Do a search on your start menu for something you know won't work. Then click search elsewhere.
    * You can then try to click the search on the right and you should get the same error message.

20. Tweakfiend

Tweakfiend OSNN Senior Addict

Same problem with Netgear network card....should not have to remove, reinstall software and reintroduce...is that what you did ?
    Main connection works fine with router/modem ( newish model )