Windows Vista Build 5472 on Microsoft Connect

So I got this installed last night. Setup is much faster now...took under 30 mins on my desktop this time. Post-install performance also seems to have greatly improved since Beta 2, and I didn't even defrag the disk this time. Clearly, a lot of perf work went into this build.

Besides that, a number of fit-and-finish and cosmetic updates all over the place. Noticed several new icons, and the new glowing ring replacement for the hourglass cursor, which is nice.

The DWM/NVIDIA bug that was highly annoying in Beta 2 is also gone - no more stuttering window animations. Even Flip3D feels smoother and more polished now. The transition to Secure Desktop when a UAC prompt comes up is still jarring. A smooth, fading shift, similar to what happens during initial login would be nice.

The small changes to Task Manager are great - having a tab for running Services is nice, and the Description fields in the Processes and Services tabs are useful.

Overall, I'd say this is the best build we've got to date. Good stuff. :)

if only i could have used it. lol. sometimes i think my computer hates 64-bit OS's..... or vice versa.

I finally got this installed. First build since 5308. When I formatted the seperate partitian on HD with Acronis DDS I couldn't get it to reboot. No luck when I installed to my 2nd HD. I had to delete the partitian and format it from the Vista DVD I burned and then it took and rebooted. Anywho this build is pretty smooth and fast.

Can anyone provide me a d/l link that works with being on MSDN subscription. I would love to try newer build. I am a poor student and cant afford the subscription fee. I could like to try the 32 bit one. I have Vista Beta 2 and it crashes a lot.. Thanks

Alec

Can anyone provide me a d/l link that works with being on MSDN subscription. I would love to try newer build. I am a poor student and cant afford the subscription fee. I could like to try the 32 bit one. I have Vista Beta 2 and it crashes a lot.. Thanks

Alec
This build is not a public preview and anyone who shares one of these builds is violating the EULA. For these reasons your request will go ignored. Please don't ask again.

This build is not a public preview and anyone who shares one of these builds is violating the EULA. For these reasons your request will go ignored. Please don't ask again.

And what's the legal way to obtain it?

Subscribe to MSDN or TechNet. It's not cheap but it's great for IT professionals.

By subscribing you agree to the EULA which prohibits you to share your access with others.

or you could try to get an invite to be a Vista beta tester.... but as far as i know that can only be given by people at MS. there was a little blog made by one person who was able to give invites.... but don't remember where. that's how i get the beta's.

Subscribe to MSDN or TechNet. It's not cheap but it's great for IT professionals.

By subscribing you agree to the EULA which prohibits you to share your access with others.

I'm not a developer, so spending about 4k$ on Visual Studio (or 1k$ on the subscription only) is way of for me :). I guess I'll have to wait for the RC1 and hope the keys from beta2 will work.

I think RC1 will be another public release, I also believe (tho have no source to confirm) that if you ordered the beta2 disk and use the activation code on the back of it, you will auto-register to receive RC1 in the mail..

However 5472 was already out by the time I got my beta2 DVD cases so it was a little slow, looks pretty though... also recieved my MSDN copies and accidentally requested beta2 media copies as well which arrived faster.

My (well works :) )Technet Plus copy of Vista and Office 2007 also arrived the day before yesterday.

Got Vista coming out of my ears :)

I think RC1 will be another public release, I also believe (tho have no source to confirm) that if you ordered the beta2 disk and use the activation code on the back of it, you will auto-register to receive RC1 in the mail..

I've downloaded the beta2, but read that the activation codes will work on the rc1, hope they do.

However 5472 was already out by the time I got my beta2 DVD cases so it was a little slow, looks pretty though... also recieved my MSDN copies and accidentally requested beta2 media copies as well which arrived faster.

I guess the delivery times vary, I've seen some people selling beta2 disks not long after the release (originals with activation code).

Btw: do the newer version support booting from an external drive? Beta2 installed on a usb hard drive easily, but couldn't get it up unless the disk was connected via *ata.

Lack: i hope you're talking about people selling them like...... at school or something.... not online. last time i checked.... selling stuff that's not yours is pretty damn illegal.

I guess he mean't people reselling the version yo form Microsofyou never know I suspect ebay will have been flooded with all kinds of Vista copies.

At the end of the day it was easy to get the trial licence key, it was just the 3-4 gig of data people were having trouble getting their hands on.

Just to add to the discussion, I believe how it works is if you used Beta 2 AND ACTIVATED IT you will qualify for access to RC1. Those who didn't activate it are S.O.L. I also think it will be seperate keys, but not sure on that.

I don't have a source atm, but I'm pretty sure that is how it works out.

They should use seperate keys to be honest, amazed that the tech betas after beta2 continued to use the same key.

so if i'm a member of technet, should i be able to download the most recent build? amd if so where? the links above don't seem to work.

TechNet Subscribers will only get beta versions on DVD with monthly mailings. Only MSDN Subscribers or Beta Testers have access to the downloads.

yeah, what fun.... obviously at some stage in my past i got a sub to technet, but i've never recieved anything.. although i think i did when i lived in london, guess i should update it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back