Windows Vista Build 5308 (Feb/Ent CTP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, when I go to log in I keep getting.

InActive Account
You are no longer an Active User on the Microsoft Beta System.

:( I think they took you out of the Beta program...

Steevo said:
OK, when I go to log in I keep getting.

InActive Account
You are no longer an Active User on the Microsoft Beta System.
Didn't you just apply, did you already get accepted?

Ehhh. i dunno.

I was part of the XP SP2 Beta team. Mebey thay haven't set me up again yet.... I dunno.

Normally you receive an invite per program, i.e. if you are a beta for XP SP2 that does not entitle you to all future beta releases :)

Thats what I would think. Signing up for one beta program doesnt usually entitle you to another.

damn...... now i have to install Vista AGAIN! tried installing it last night, but only had one partition. used Partition Magic to split the partition, and all that seemed to do was mess it up. after installing Vista, i had two partitions, but realized i installed the wrong build. went to XP to copy some stuff that i needed..... and nothing would run once it got into Windows (besides Yahoo Messenger.... but that was just enough time for it to load and login.... then that stopped too). went into My Computer to find what i needed..... and only had one partition. thought to myself "wtf?!" abruptly followed by an "aaw hell... hope i can get the stuff i need from Vista". turns out i could. copied what i needed, reinstalled Vista, and got that workin. Then installed XP this morning back on the 140GB partiton of my 160GB drive (Vista on 20GB). Now, Vista isn't in the boot loader (which i'm guessing was caused by formatting the C drive).

ElementalDragon said:
damn...... now i have to install Vista AGAIN! tried installing it last night, but only had one partition. used Partition Magic to split the partition, and all that seemed to do was mess it up. after installing Vista, i had two partitions, but realized i installed the wrong build. went to XP to copy some stuff that i needed..... and nothing would run once it got into Windows (besides Yahoo Messenger.... but that was just enough time for it to load and login.... then that stopped too). went into My Computer to find what i needed..... and only had one partition. thought to myself "wtf?!" abruptly followed by an "aaw hell... hope i can get the stuff i need from Vista". turns out i could. copied what i needed, reinstalled Vista, and got that workin. Then installed XP this morning back on the 140GB partiton of my 160GB drive (Vista on 20GB). Now, Vista isn't in the boot loader (which i'm guessing was caused by formatting the C drive).
Ohh that sort of sucks. :doh:

hmm..... now i don't know if i'd be able to install Vista until my next reformat..... since it would appear that out of some form of pure stupidity.... the 20GB partition that Vista is on is also recognized as a System drive.... and i think the boot loader may be on there for some dumbass reason. oy vey.

Gen3ric: i also may have gotten a 3 since i think that rating was before i installed my video card drivers.... though i'm not sure if that'd make a difference or not since it's still detected as a 7800GT.

I downloaded those new drivers that were posted. I couldnt see a noticeable difference. What actual number did each component get? I forget mine but I'll post them later when I boot back into Vista.... I think the GPU and GFX memory are separate (smart move too!). Screenshot!

ED, that's why you always install the newer OS after the older one. :)

The XP bootloader won't detect the Vista setup on the other drive, which is why you don't get the dual-boot option at startup. Rather than reinstalling Vista completely, you can simply overwrite the XP bootloader with the new one from Vista. That'll detect the XP partition and automatically add both options to the boot menu.

ElementalDragon said:
uuh... the account you create upon installing the build is an administrator account.... don't see how it would make a difference.
Hey,

Yeah same here, god I hope that changes. You should be required to add a non admin account upon install. Only if you do a unattended install then should you not have to.

That and why the heck allow password-less admin accounts. So stupid! Same with autologging in as an admin. Should be a requried registry hack and controled by group policy, in the very least.

Just asking for trouble...

cya,

Will

the reason they allow passwordless admin accounts is cause it's not like Vista is meant to be used in any kind of office environment or anything like that yet. least that's my assumption.

ElementalDragon said:
the reason they allow passwordless admin accounts is cause it's not like Vista is meant to be used in any kind of office environment or anything like that yet. least that's my assumption.
But the issue with hackers and XP and NT was always that the administrator account never got a password and when it was blank, it was a huge open door to them..

Vista is all about security, so if anything its probably just because its Beta at the moment.

The administrator password was blank in the very first Beta of Vista ;)

that's basically what i was saying, Gen3ric. why worry about the password when it's just a beta/not widely used? think they've got more important stuff to worry about as of now.

Yeah, but guess what, I bet $50 that passwordless admin account will still be allowed and even worse it will be the default just like in XP. All because the users don't push microsoft for it. :( Again with win2k3 and win2k3 R2 which is really bad considering they are servers. Pretty darn stupid!

So that's why. :( If not enough people ask for it then it simply won't happen. Because like you said there are bigger things to worry about so it will either just get pushed to the next OS or will be simply ignored. I bet the latter sadly.

The end user has the option to set a password for the Administrator account during setup. It isn't Microsoft's fault that users aren't smart enough to properly configure security; so please don't blame Microsoft.

All of the XP setups I did have a admin "password" just so that the lamo's can remember them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back