Windows Vista Build 5308 (Feb/Ent CTP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
now all we need is nvidia to release some decent compatible chipset drivers so we can test raid

We need GeForce Go drivers. Why did they just leave them out? Seems a bit of a bad move, since ATi releases their drivers with mobility radeon support (and even if you have an OEM one, they don't tell you to go elsewhere. They give you a driver all the same). However, the GeForce Go 7800 is listed on their driver page, but is not supported by the drivers that were released today.

wwwdjrcs said:
Dude whoever has Vista installed should give this 30-day trial a whirl :)

http://www.otakusoftware.com/topdesk/index.html
You don't need Vista to use that. It's designed for XP, and yes, I've already been using the trial for a few weeks now. It's not bad if you want something similar to Flip3D (from Vista) or Expose (from OS X). In fact, I'd say it's the best Expose clone for Windows, and obviously the first Flip3D clone out there.

Pyr0x64 said:
Woohoo! New x64 drivers! :)

GEN3RIC said:
Oh no! How do I re-enable Windows Composition? aka Aero Glass. It said it was causing slow-downs so I disabled it not knowing what it was.
Windows Key + R
services.msc
Start the "User Experience Subsystem Service" (at least that's what it was in 5270)

Also, you should set the "DWM Session Subsystem" (as it is called in 5308, "User Experience.. " was 51/52xx) to automatic to make it run again at boot.

i figured it out

I sure love how the parental controls reports log a **** load of info

now only to get windows to stop prompting to allow every dam thing i do
and turn off UAP
and turn off that dam security center

Last edited:
Yeah I got it to work because I set it to come back after a reboot. How much will performance improve over the net few CTPs?

I imagine quite a bit... until then..Im satisfied.

GEN3RIC said:
Yeah I got it to work because I set it to come back after a reboot. How much will performance improve over the net few CTPs?

I imagine quite a bit... until then..Im satisfied.
Perf tuning, bug fixing and UI fit-and-finish stuff is pretty much going to be the focus from this point on until RTM, since the build is now feature-complete. So yeah, performance should definitely improve by the time it's released.

Great.. I cant listen to music without it glitching on a regular basis (every 5 seconds if I open a window or type fast (lol) it'll get staticky... It had an error while installing the drivers and I am positive its that since the card is literally 8 years old and the drivers probably didnt even like XP much less Vista..hah.

Cant wait until its released officially. Time couldnt go any slower... >>rolls eyes<<

Oh and pardon my ignorance..but there are certain things I cant figure out such as how to use Flip3D versus the regualr ALT TAB version... Its going to take a while to get used to!

edit: got it! It used to be Winkey + Spacebar but it looks like its Winkey + Tab now... Paul Thurrot better update his stuff. :)

Last edited:
Posting this from Vista now :)

I had to install it two times :dead:

The first time everything went well, and I tried to install the Audigy drivers that were released from the previous build...bad idea. The system got locked and crashed, therefore rebooting everytime even before it got to the use logon screen. I tried recovering but didn't work...since it was like 2 am I just decided to wipe out and reinstall it over.

Gfx card, it recognizes my ATI 9600XT, but only as a 9600 instead. I'm not sure if I should install the Omegas or not, since the pretty glass effect will be disabled (I know there's the reg hack, but I'm not sure if its still available or not).

Network, it didn't recognize my Intel ethernet connection (I still find this really surprising), but I don't really mind it now since I use my wireless instead. I installed my Dell Truemobile 1180 USB adapter using the XP drivers and it works great :).

Performance wise, I see a little improvement compared to December's CTP, but it still has a way to go. It took a full 10 minutes or so before the system was completely loaded (by completely loaded I mean the hard drive light stops blinking madly).

Things that still tick the hell outta me:
  • I have to press Allow on every little operation I ask for
  • There's no "Allow Always" button set for those operations
  • The logon picture in the logon screen is really distorted since its made bigger than its actual resolution (I know this is a minor detail, but still)

I probably have more to add to the list, but I just woke up, so its all I can think of now :p.

That why I'm running as admin. Seems they disabled the protection for admin accounts in this build.

ElementalDragon said:
uuh..... dude...... Alt+Tab still works.....
Yeah, Flip is fine but I wanted to see Flip3D which is Winkey+Tab

uuh... the account you create upon installing the build is an administrator account.... don't see how it would make a difference.

Apu: thanks for the heads up on the Audigy drivers. lol. was thinkin about installing them... but thought "eeh.... they don't SAY they're for 5308.... and i already goofed up on the LNE100TX NIC drivers....". as for the transparency (i.e. Glass) effect... i think that can be enabled and disabled right in the Color Scheme's configuration window.

Also.... i noticed quite an improvement in this build. for one.... i thought that bringing the sidebar back was gonna be a big "OOPS!!! my bad." on MS's part.... but it actually doesn't appear to be as much of a resource hog as it was back in the Longhorn days. plus.... this build can actually run on my computer for longer than a couple minutes without deciding to take a dump and restarting. your system also doesn't seem too beefy to run Vista very well. even on my system, Vista only gives it a performance rating of 3. that's pretty sad. but i must say it does run quite nicely.

ElementalDragon said:
uuh... the account you create upon installing the build is an administrator account.... don't see how it would make a difference.

Apu: thanks for the heads up on the Audigy drivers. lol. was thinkin about installing them... but thought "eeh.... they don't SAY they're for 5308.... and i already goofed up on the LNE100TX NIC drivers....". as for the transparency (i.e. Glass) effect... i think that can be enabled and disabled right in the Color Scheme's configuration window.

Also.... i noticed quite an improvement in this build. for one.... i thought that bringing the sidebar back was gonna be a big "OOPS!!! my bad." on MS's part.... but it actually doesn't appear to be as much of a resource hog as it was back in the Longhorn days. plus.... this build can actually run on my computer for longer than a couple minutes without deciding to take a dump and restarting. your system also doesn't seem too beefy to run Vista very well. even on my system, Vista only gives it a performance rating of 3. that's pretty sad. but i must say it does run quite nicely.
You got a 3 ? I got a 4... I cant believe I scored higher than you and your specs are definitely better than mine.. You're like a notch or two up on everything!

Yeah, my pc doesn't look like it would run it that well eh? It runs quite well, and this is with the OS running on a 5400rpm drive instead of the usual 7200 :D

The problem with installing the video drivers is that since they're not based on the LDM (since the Omegas are for XP), the glassy theme won't be enabled. When I actually install the real Vista drivers ATI provides, the graphics lag a lot more than with generic or Omega drivers...that's why i'm not sure. If anyone could give me recommendations, I'd appreciate it :). I'll keep the generic ones for now, they seem to run the system decently for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back