Windows Vista Build 5308 (Feb/Ent CTP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good post. I will have a D810 to play with, using an X600 128mb, hopefully theyll have better driver support by May. Until then, Im going to see if I cant install it on my main rig with my 6800.

Electronic Punk said:
I talked to NVIDIA a while ago and they stated that their wouldn't be another release of drivers (they did release drivers just after the first CTP arrived) until beta 2... well thankfully due to all the confusion and the fact that we are in the beta 2 phase (aren't we?) it looks like NVIDIA will be releasing new drivers today.

They have not been released yet, to me or the public, but I can tell you that they will be at least version 87.15 ad should be much improved. (also a hell of alot newer than the current WindowsXP versions)
That's great news. I decided that I'm going to pick up a new Seagate SATA drive to pop into my desktop and install this build on, rather than using the laptop like I've been doing for all the builds so far.

I had to use the reg hack to get Glass on the laptop (Radeon 7500!), so this will be the first time I'll be using a "supported" video card, hopefully with these new nVidia drivers by the time I order and receive the new drive. :)

Wow it knows what my Zen is (or is cheating and using the MTP as well as images from the device itself but it makes me feel good)

Also paint.exe now saves an png's - should save some space :D

Attachments

• Desktop.PNG
    Desktop.PNG
    569.5 KB · Views: 823
Is it just me or does the supposed '3D' UI look really flat? i can't see anything 3D in Vista to be honest. the closest thing that comes to it is the cascading effect of the windows, but even that does not look 3D.

Well without the transparency it won't look so different on the outside, in fact Brandon at LHB thinks that the rough steel looks worse than the Media Center 2005 theme.

Will be updating Vista on my main rig tonight so should see Aero again in all it's glory.

Electronic Punk said:
Wow it knows what my Zen is (or is cheating and using the MTP as well as images from the device itself but it makes me feel good)

Also paint.exe now saves an png's - should save some space :D
Paint has saved as PNGs since Windows XP :)

Hello,

Nvidia drivers working fine here with my Geforce 6800. :) No glitches atm. In Vista 5270 I had little black dots appearing all over images when viewing in any image application, well besides paint. No more black dots so I'm happy.

I'm not having the explorer.exe crashing issue either like some have reported. Also, my cpu is now finally idle with vista. Where as before with 5270 it would always be at least 20% and IE would use 100%. IE now works fine and is really fast. In fact faster than IE 7 in winxp. Lots of bugs I have reported have been fixed. One though I can think of atm, I'm aways from pc atm, is if you change the font and have wordwrap enabled in notepad the text gets all screwed up. Luckly just turnning off wordwarp and turning it back on fixes the problem.

Still no sound though since creative drivers still do not work 100%. I manged to get them to install, took about 10 tries, but there is no sound. Even though it shows it as playing fine in control panel.

So far this build is way more stable and a lot more responsive all around then build 5270. Got to give Microsoft a big ups for this build. Good job! Will be testing all day today.

Have fun,

Will

The new drivers did not give me any noticeable improvements :cry:

hmm..... wonder if it'd be able to tell that my GMini 402 is actually a Gmini 402, and not just a removable storage..... *ponders*. might have to install it later.

Pyro: 64 bit version of 5308? why wasn't i informed of this?

64bit and 32bit have been released together in every single ctp so far.

Watching Vista install and boot as we speak. :D

No problems, like in 5270!

Oh no! How do I re-enable Windows Composition? aka Aero Glass. It said it was causing slow-downs so I disabled it not knowing what it was.

CPU upgrade time......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back