Windows Vista Beta 2 (Build 5384.4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, been a long time since i last posted but i thought i would give a brief opinion of Vista Beta 2 so far.

Downloaded it last night, took around 4 hours on 2mb ADSL connection which i thought was pretty good. I used the download manager provided too, handy if you needed to pause it to check mail etc, as it took all of the available bandwidth.

Install took around 50 minutes from the off, no problems with that. This is the first build since Beta 1 i have tested (i think).

Drivers didn't install for my Intel Pro Wireless 2100 mini PCI adaptor, and i couldn't get XP compatibility mode to work either. The solution was just to plug my Ethernet Cable into my Laptop, and then allow it to access the net to find the required drivers.

The specs of my Laptop aren't high, an Intel Pentium M 1.5Ghz CPU, 512MB DDR Ram, and a 40Gb 5400rpm HDD.

There are no visual affects, i could use them but it's just too slow with all the bells 'n' whistles!

My Performance Rating is only 1, although it doesn't recognise i have 64MB dedicated graphics memory (GeForce Fx Go5200). Anyway, all running ok, not lightening fast, but i can get a feel of things from here.

which way does the performance rating count? up or down?

ahh, I was slightly annoyed when I went from a score of 2 to 3, I thought it was counting down for some reason. logically counting up makes more sense though.

My rating has improved since refreshing. I am now at a rating of 2! I assume it is because my original rating was with Vista Graphics drivers, but since installing nVidia's it has gone up a notch.

Maybe i can watch videos now in Media Player, as it woldn't let me before.

Re: Problems installing 5384.4

Try removing the DVD from the drive?

Thanks Brad. I can't remember if I did that or not. Are you suppose to remove the DVD after it reboots before it finishes installing. I'll give it a try and if it boots I'll be wearing the dunce cap around here for awhile. :)

Thanks Brad. I can't remember if I did that or not. Are you suppose to remove the DVD after it reboots before it finishes installing. I'll give it a try and if it boots I'll be wearing the dunce cap around here for awhile. :)

I don't know if that will do it or not, but it seems like that is what is occurring.

I saw it running on my mate's dual-core Pentium D with a GF6600GT. Looks VERY nice. Desktop and all that operates beautifully and it's nice to see live-action thumbnails and flipping. Animations are very intuitive and everything runs pretty well. A few bugs in picture viewing and icons loading in folders - i.e. they shouldn't be refreshing AFTER you load the window, they should display instantly.

Man, the display drivers for nVidia GPUs in the x64 build are utter garbage. This machine has a 256MB GeForce 6800GT (PCI-e). The whole system is choppy and the window animations don't even work. It's a huge step back from 5365 x64, which was working beautifully on this system.

If I switch back to the non-Glass theme, performance is back up to what it should be, but it looks like crap. I wonder if there's a way to pull the nVidia drivers out of the 5365 DVD and install them in this build. The old x64 drivers for 5308 on nVidia's site didn't work with 5365 and they don't work with this build either, and the new ones are x86 only.

Does anyone still have 5365 or 5381 x64 installed?
That might be the only way to get the old drivers...

If I don't find a solution to this in a couple of days, I guess my only option is to download the x86 build and try that. Are these people ever going to start taking 64-bit seriously? =\
No they're not, but vista is a long way from being ready and you would be wasting your time with the x86 build. xp pro is the best out there and i don't even think vista will be that much better. i have 32 and 64 bit versions in my rig. they both r crap and i'm still wondering why everyone want's this junk. I have a FX-62 tornado and 4 gb's of ocz gold and a 7800 dual GT card and it's performing very well. I did a clean install with the 32 bit and it ran better than the 64 bit. Don't even waste yor time, cause you will have to install all kinds of drivers just to get it to about 70% of what it's capable of, anyway good luck!

Hi all, been a long time since i last posted but i thought i would give a brief opinion of Vista Beta 2 so far.

Downloaded it last night, took around 4 hours on 2mb ADSL connection which i thought was pretty good. I used the download manager provided too, handy if you needed to pause it to check mail etc, as it took all of the available bandwidth.

Install took around 50 minutes from the off, no problems with that. This is the first build since Beta 1 i have tested (i think).

Drivers didn't install for my Intel Pro Wireless 2100 mini PCI adaptor, and i couldn't get XP compatibility mode to work either. The solution was just to plug my Ethernet Cable into my Laptop, and then allow it to access the net to find the required drivers.

The specs of my Laptop aren't high, an Intel Pentium M 1.5Ghz CPU, 512MB DDR Ram, and a 40Gb 5400rpm HDD.

There are no visual affects, i could use them but it's just too slow with all the bells 'n' whistles!

My Performance Rating is only 1, although it doesn't recognise i have 64MB dedicated graphics memory (GeForce Fx Go5200). Anyway, all running ok, not lightening fast, but i can get a feel of things from here.
I must tell you, I have a FX-62 tornado, 7800 dual Gt and 4gb's of ram and the only thing vista has going for it is. The graohics and the way it will amuse you with them. I don't think it will be that much better than xp pro! Microsoft will be even later in realising vista than jan, probaly around march or so. They have to many hang up's with all the software out there and it's getting harder everyday, cause software manufactures are'nt taking vista that serious. If you're just trying it out, that's fine, but if you're planning on buying it, then good luck to you. I think everyone will be dissappointed after it's all said and done!

No they're not, but vista is a long way from being ready and you would be wasting your time with the x86 build. xp pro is the best out there and i don't even think vista will be that much better. i have 32 and 64 bit versions in my rig. they both r crap and i'm still wondering why everyone want's this junk. I have a FX-62 tornado and 4 gb's of ocz gold and a 7800 dual GT card and it's performing very well. I did a clean install with the 32 bit and it ran better than the 64 bit. Don't even waste yor time, cause you will have to install all kinds of drivers just to get it to about 70% of what it's capable of, anyway good luck!
That might be your experience, but the x64 build has not given my any major problems at all. Since I've been beta testing LH/Vista for almost a year now, there are a number of things that I miss when I boot back into XP. Many of them are small, but they all add up and make the overall experience better. Driver support has also been top notch for me. All of my hardware was supported out-of-the-box, which is obviously not something I can say for XP. :)

Was using IE7 a week or two ago during my trip to Amsterdam and when I got back I did find that I really missed tabbed internet browsing (I don't use firefox) - was a great opportunity for me to really get to use Vista as a main system, was really cool.

As far as thinking Vista is bad? Something you could only say if this was the first version you had seen and were expecting blistering performance. The progress it has made since the first CTP (the first build I actually installed and played with more than clicking around a bit) you wouldn't be worried.

No such luck on booting up after taking out the DVD. I'm keep investigating.

Anyone else been having problems getting WLM to connect recently?

[update] Windows Vista + NetGear DG834 makes WLM unable to connect if the DG834 isnt running the most up to date firmware.

Last edited:
WOOO HOOO I finally got my invite...

Damn about time...

It should be home soon even though I am still out here in Qatar...

:(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back