Windows Vista Beta 2 (Build 5384.4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Everyone!

My first post here.

I just downloaded the Beta 2 of VISTA.

I planned on installing it over my current setup of XP. I'd
rather not do a clean install.

Is this a good idea? Will Vista work over my current XP install?

Look forward to your replies.

NJROBO:

I don't have any specific advice to your question, as I did a fresh install. However, I must say that make sure you backup your existing XP installation, as this is a Beta. It is not the full-fledged operating system and there are bound to be problems with. I just wanted to give you forewarning.

I've been digging throgh the local security settings but cannot find out to disable the "You do not have Access, show your credentials" when I'm an administrator. Any tips?

I've had to further disable visual effects of vista to get the system to perform smoothly. When I first installed it, a pop up asked me if I wanted to disable desktop composition... which I did, and that made things smooth. Now I've had to turn off all visual stuff to get vista to run smoothly. :(

Are there any Vista themes around? Ive tried looking on Google but they are all for XP. Tried looking on Microsoft but they just have articles.

Neowin has a section devoted to customizing Windows Vista.

lol... I just went on over there to download my copy for my little averatec and i read this -

Microsoft.com said:
Note: This is beta code and should not be used in a production environment or on a main machine in the home. Beta 2 is intended for developers, IT professionals and technology experts to continue or begin their testing of Windows Vista. Before you decide to use Beta 2, you should feel comfortable with installing operating systems, updating drivers, and general PC troubleshooting. Some risks of using beta operating systems include hardware and software incompatibility and system instability. If you have concerns about installing this beta software on your computer, we encourage you to obtain the final release version of Windows Vista when it is available in 2007.

as if windows isn't instable by default :laugh:

btw... thanks matt, i was wondering the same on customizing it... Neowin might be a good source for info/mods...

-tc

Ah, another 6800GT user with DWM issues. From the posts on the newsgroups and a number of bug reports, it looks like there's a definite issue with the nVidia drivers in this build and the 6800GT especially. It only started in 5381 (earlier builds were really smooth) and continued into 5384. We'll have to wait until the next build to see if it's resolved.
I have a 6800 GT and havent really noticed any stuttering of visual effects at all.

Wow, I gotta tell you guys how impressed I am with it running on my D820. FWIW, specs are 2.0Ghz Core Duo, 2.0GB DDR667, 512mb NVS 120m and an 80GB 7200RPM drive. It is MUCH faster than my desktop and I think the factors that cause this are the 2GB of RAM, the dual core CPU is clearly more powerful than my A64 3000+, and the 120m's lack of driver issues :)

Stable enough to use it daily! Except I cant get Visual Studio 2005 to run on it nor do I want it to really :)

*sigh*

I installed the Beta 2 and I also have DWM.exe running at almost 100% CPU usage with Desktop Composition turned on. :(

I have:
Geforce 6800GT (PCIe)
AMD64 3500+
2 Gig Corsair RAM
dual-booting with XP (separate partition)
Nforce 4 chipset

Once I disable Desktop Composition, things run OK, but UAC just drives me nuts. I don't mind having to allow for things to happen but why oh why do I have to watch my monitor attempt to trigger an epileptic fit?? :|

Another annoyance is the Creative 'Vista' drivers just don't install and you have to use NGO modded drivers to get it to work. That and you simply cannot take over driver installation at startup to let you point windows in teh right direction.

I just gave up trying to use it after it was running so bad. I can run XP without Aero. One of the main reasons I wanted to try the Beta was that I wanted to see Aero in action (I'd tried an earlier build and it runs a LOT faster than this one). That and UAC is just unusable at the moment.

There's my rant. :)

Stable enough to use it daily! Except I cant get Visual Studio 2005 to run on it nor do I want it to really :)
Visual Studio 2005 runs fine on mine, though I did have to get MSSQL 2005 Express SP1 update cause the original is not compatible with Vista

as if windows isn't instable by default :laugh:

-tc

I think Microsoft set the stability to default in this one.

Is there any way of switching this feature off?

:dead:

Is anyone having problems viewing web pages?

What happens with me is:

I keep getting page not found errors. I also have the Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security 14 beta for Vista.

This doesnt happen on the same pages under XP.

Erm?

I cant get onto this page:

http://r.officebeta.iponet.net/r/rlidContactUsFromClient?clid=1033&ver=12&app=winword.exe&p1=0&CTT=6&Origin=EC010227221033

Last edited:
Consider yourself lucky. :D
I do ;)

btw, any way to "approve" an app for running. I installed the CA AntiVirus software, but I have to manually approve it to run each time I boot up, is there anyway I can say "yes, this program may run, it forever has my blessing"

I do ;)

btw, any way to "approve" an app for running. I installed the CA AntiVirus software, but I have to manually approve it to run each time I boot up, is there anyway I can say "yes, this program may run, it forever has my blessing"
Well, apparently running any OpenGL app just once seems to fix the visual effects stuttering issue, as we discovered in this thread. Just ran Google Earth, closed it, and everything's buttery smooth again. :D

As for your UAC question...I really haven't seen any option to remember privilege elevation actions in current builds. I'm sure they (MS, CA, or both) are working on something though...having an elevation prompt come up after every reboot would get pretty frustrating.

Well, apparently running any OpenGL app just once seems to fix the visual effects stuttering issue, as we discovered in this thread. Just ran Google Earth, closed it, and everything's buttery smooth again. :D

As for your UAC question...I really haven't seen any option to remember privilege elevation actions in current builds. I'm sure they (MS, CA, or both) are working on something though...having an elevation prompt come up after every reboot would get pretty frustrating.

To switch off UAC, you need to go into your account settings and switch it off.

Well, I must just not have noticed it then, ran Google Earth and it does run smoother now :p

I dont particularly want to turn off UAC, I would rather get things working with stuff still in a secure state

If you do turn off UAC, there's a friggin "security problem" icon that appears on your taskbar to tell you that you've turned off UAC, and there doesn't appear to be any way of removing it!

This UAC is a bag of crap, it's the only thing I really don't like about Vista so far. I have to click "ok" twice every time I log on because it doens't like my EZ anti-virus. Bah!

I killed both UAC (via msconfig) and Security Center (via services.msc - press windows key+r to get to it) initially and it wasn't bothering me.

However, in the interest of learning what UAC is how it works, try and leave it on, or re-enable it after you have got all your apps installed, see how often it pesters you when you don't need to elevate your rights all the time.

Actually got it installed now.

Talked about UAC extensively, not in its final format yet and we had alot of feedback (other than screaming this sucks kill it!), stuff like keeping the box appear in one place (which I guess could be a risk), not locking the desktop (again a risk), getting away from the grey (boring) -- they listened to us so lets see what happen.

Interestingly you iwll notice it pops up if you try and change the system clock? Why its just a clock!! -- because you can trick Kerberos tickets this way.

Very well thought out and its gonna be great if it can be tied down properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back