Windows Vista Beta 2 (Build 5384.4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
well whattaya know..... another version of Vista x64 that for some dumbass reason doesn't wanna boot on my computer. it goes through the loading screen...... screen turns black, monitor shows no signal..... monitor kicks back on showing a black screen with the whole "Windows Vista evaluation build 5384" crap in the bottom right corner, and just sits there with no activity.

My problem is Trend Micro Pc cillin Beta for Win Vista beta 538464 didn't work help plz :cry:

Extra Requirements for Installing PC-cillin™ Internet Security 14.55 on Windows Vista™ 64-bit
For Windows Vista to load unsigned drivers, you will initially need to disable enforcement of mode code signatures in the Windows kernel. To make that change, you must modify the boot configuration using a command-line tool called BCDedit.
Windows Vista includes a command-line tool, BCDedit, which can be used to set the option in the Beta2 release of Windows Vista to disable signature checks.

1. Launch BCDedit:
    • Log onto the computer as a member of the Administrators group.

• [*]Create a shortcut to cmd.exe on your desktop.

[*]Right-click the cmd.exe shortcut and select "Run as administrator" from the list of options.

[*]Execute the following command to disable driver signature checks:

// Disable enforcement – no signing checks
    Bcdedit.exe –set nointegritychecks ON

[*]Reboot the computer and install PC-cillin.
</SPAN>
Note: You can only use Bcdedit to disable integrity checks when loading unsigned drivers in the Beta2 release of Windows Vista. For more information, please refer to the BCD Editor FAQ on the MSDN Web site.

I don't understand what I need to do I wrote that and that didnt work:cry:
// Disable enforcement – no signing checks

The "// wording" is a comment.

All you need to do is run Bcdedit.exe –set nointegritychecks ON

madmatt said:
The "// wording" is a comment.

All you need to do is run Bcdedit.exe –set nointegritychecks ON

Thank you so much I found it and now the antivirus run well:) But you need to do that before Bcdedits.exe

Using the F8 option.
An F8 boot option introduced with Windows Vista—“Disable
Driver Signature Enforcement”—is available to disable the kernel-signing enforcement
only for the current boot session. This setting does not persist across boot sessions.

and after this, I did that

Setting the boot configuration.
A boot configuration setting is available for
prerelease builds that allows the suppression of the enforcement module in Windows
to be persisted across boot sessions.
Windows Vista includes a command-line tool, BCDedit, which can be used to set this option.
To use BCDedit, the user must have Elevated User or Administrator privileges on the system.
The most straightforward approach is to create a desktop shortcut to cmd.exe, and then
right-click -> Run Elevated. The following shows an example of running BDCedit at the
command prompt: // Disable enforcement – no signing checks

Electronic Punk said:
It gives us testers the chance to get rid of any last minute showstopping bugs, the public CTP could well be a newer revision.

I've been watching the reviews come in on 5384.4 and it looks like MS is slowly making improvements in some areas and regressing in other areas, specifically 64X drivers. Rush, rush, rush. Don't you just get the feeling Alchin, Ballmer or whoever runs Vista puts egg timers in those rooms each day and forces those guys to make improvements or no lunch, and no one goes home until they have fixed 5 bugs apiece. Holy smokes. You know darn well they had to have a build release ready for WinHec 06', again another rush job I'm sure. beta 2 CPP has got to have improvements then what we've seen in 5384.4.....

Sorry to be such a nag guys, but I've also been using SuSE 10.1 for a few months and Vista sure could take some lessons from them. No I'm not a convert but open source does have its advantages and disadvantages but thats another story.

Now that beta 2 is out and public, how many more build revisions will we see before release candidates? Or will the next be RC0?

just installed vista and it seems to run quite slow. probably coz of vista's theme is affecting the performance. vista now pops up with options to disable desktop compositions.

ming its running slow on your system, i'm in the **** then haha

ming its running slow on your system, i'm in the **** then haha

well, i've disabled desktop composition now it runs much smoother.

just one question: how can i change the setting so that vista stops showing thumbnail in explorer?

EDIT: nevermind... finally found the option to disable the thumbnail... though I've already forgotten how i got it. :p

Now that beta 2 is out and public, how many more build revisions will we see before release candidates? Or will the next be RC0?

Vista Timeline According to Jim Allchin in his interview with Paul Thurrott.

" Beta 2 is really the culmination of the three previous CTPs," Allchin told me. "It's really just a different approach for developing the product. We think about Windows Vista only in terms of CTPs. But you can think of it as Beta 2, or the final Beta 2, or even as RC0. We think the quality is going to be good enough there that we won't even have to do an RC0 release. And then the next CTP will be RC1.... " :)

just installed vista and it seems to run quite slow. probably coz of vista's theme is affecting the performance. vista now pops up with options to disable desktop compositions.
Ah, another 6800GT user with DWM issues. From the posts on the newsgroups and a number of bug reports, it looks like there's a definite issue with the nVidia drivers in this build and the 6800GT especially. It only started in 5381 (earlier builds were really smooth) and continued into 5384. We'll have to wait until the next build to see if it's resolved.

Ah, another 6800GT user with DWM issues. From the posts on the newsgroups and a number of bug reports, it looks like there's a definite issue with the nVidia drivers in this build and the 6800GT especially. It only started in 5381 (earlier builds were really smooth) and continued into 5384. We'll have to wait until the next build to see if it's resolved.

What is desktop composition? Disabled it and couldn't see any difference in UI... runs much smoother though.

Is there anything special I need to know to set up Vista to dual boot with an existing XP install?

I have a 7600GT. Are there any issues with that video card? I have some choppy video performance and I am wondering if that is why.

ok installed vista... WOW i am so impressed, i love the gadget window, especially the gadget that allows you to see the cpu and mem usage... damn if vista is not using about 550mb's to run.

So far its not running slow. i'll try some games next, luckily i kept xp as a dual boot option.

I am downloading 64bit now. Hopefully it will do a little bit better than my 32bit.

Problems installing 5384.4

Hey guys I've had problems installing 5384.4. This is what happens. Installations go well (slow) and then after rebooting when files have been installed and reboots I get this: "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD....."
After 5 periods it freezes up. If I press a key it obviously tries to go and reinstall Vista again. I've tried installing on a seperate partitian on the same HD as XP Professional and I've also tried installing on my second HD. I've also burned 3 different DVD's + and - using Alcohol120 and UltraISO Is this an issue with my Asus motherboard as I read where others with Asus where having problems. I've also read the Raid problems but I have it disabled. I can boot back into XP if I do the XP CD>recovery>bootcg /rebuild>fixboot>fixmbr thing, but I"m getting pretty tired of that. Should I just let this ride until RC1.

Threads merged.

Please use existing threads for questions and issues. Thank you.

Re: Problems installing 5384.4

Hey guys I've had problems installing 5384.4. This is what happens. Installations go well (slow) and then after rebooting when files have been installed and reboots I get this: "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD....."
After 5 periods it freezes up. If I press a key it obviously tries to go and reinstall Vista again. I've tried installing on a seperate partitian on the same HD as XP Professional and I've also tried installing on my second HD. I've also burned 3 different DVD's + and - using Alcohol120 and UltraISO Is this an issue with my Asus motherboard as I read where others with Asus where having problems. I've also read the Raid problems but I have it disabled. I can boot back into XP if I do the XP CD>recovery>bootcg /rebuild>fixboot>fixmbr thing, but I"m getting pretty tired of that. Should I just let this ride until RC1.

Try removing the DVD from the drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back