Windows Vista Beta 2 (Build 5384.4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, first I have seen of a build.x version too, such as the 5384.4

kcnychief said:
Yeah, first I have seen of a build.x version too, such as the 5384.4
It's not the first time they've done multiple iterations of the same build before releasing it on Connect. We had 5270.9, 5308.17 and 5365.8 in the past too. Getting 5308 out of the door must have surely been a fun process for them. :D

I'm a n00b to connect, only joined after you posted the Tech Nominations :D

Well, it looks like the cause for the choppiness in this x64 build is not the Glass effect itself but the window animations.

I went into the performance options and turned off the max/min/close effects. I also changed the power profile from "Balanced" to "High Performance" because I didn't want CnQ kicking in, in case Vista includes an AMD CPU driver that supports it out-of-the-box. Other than that, I turned UAC off as I did in 5365 because that flicker was driving me insane (it's not as bad in this build, but I thought it would have been fixed by now).

With all the little tweaks applied, things are working pretty damn well. Everything's popping up instantly. Looks like XP's going to get neglected for a while again. :)

Got Office 2007 Beta 2 installed, and set up Outlook to connect to the Exchange server. Love all the new featured and UI changes in Outlook, and the fact that all of Office 2007 finally supports Glass in Vista.

I'm really impressed with this build. Either they fixed something in the network stack or the new netgear router we got (DG834PN) have enabled it to successfully detect the lower MTU our current DSL ISP has and its all chugging along smoothly.

Now I'm just going to be brave(silly) and install creative's beta 1 x-fi drivers and see how it gets on :p

Also its much smoother (x86) that 5381 was.

awww creative only implemented stereo on vista :(

If anyone knows how to make realtec's drivers use spdif on vista do let me know :D

did anyone else find it funny how the image file for the x64 version of 5384 dropped at least 700MB over the previous version? kinda find that hard to believe (went out and bought 3 DL DVD's to copy an OS (5381) i couldn't get to entirely boot.... or at least wouldn't show anything on the screen). oh well. guess i'ma be installing this build later.

on a side note.... if i'm installing Vista on a separate partition on a second hard drive, and i format that partition to install this version, will i have to remove the last version from the MBR/boot list, or will it do that automatically?

I have an Xbox 360 that is networked to my XP SP2 PC and it allows me to listen to music and share pictures... but you need Media Center to share videos, etc. Makes me wonder, Vista is supposed to support Xbox 360 without modifications, anybody know if the Ultimate edition with Media Center will work with 360 right now?

Too lazy to boot into it right now since I am late for bed. :)

im still on 5381 and that popped up with a little message to say it had found my xbox360 :)
thats about as far as i got tho,

Got the 360 to work with Vista. Actually works quite nicely, however I am deeply disappointed that all of my films I college (which are archived in DiVX format to save space) are not playable! I could only get .mpg's to work. Im sure it would play WMV's but I didnt have any to try at the time.

Another major concern with Vista:
When running Vista, it feels like my computer is completely dogged down, the disk drive is always seeking! Page file is up at 1.0GB and that is all the more memory I've got.. I checked the task manager and DfrgNTFS.exe is running and eating up a lot of CPU % and time. Why is it defragging automatically!? I won't stop it, but it has been going on forever (everytime I boot up apparently)..

Dont see much on the subject when I search.

edit: i see it in the scheduled tasks, but it is supposed to take place Sunday at 4am, not Friday during peak usage....

Last edited:
I seem to remember something about Vista doing this automatically during non-use. I could be totally wrong on that.

Brad said:
I seem to remember something about Vista doing this automatically during non-use. I could be totally wrong on that.
I was definitely using the computer at the time.. When I was using media center on the xbox 360, the performance was subpar.. as in, I could tell my PC was still crunching 1s and 0s even though i left it idle. I came back and went to check on the task manager and sure enough it was defragging...lol

Idle in windows terms means periods when you are not providing direct input - watching movies, etc you generally dont touch the mouse or keyboard and so you become "idle" thats all.

LordOfLA said:
Idle in windows terms means periods when you are not providing direct input - watching movies, etc you generally dont touch the mouse or keyboard and so you become "idle" thats all.
True, at some moments it should have been able to do 'idle tasks', but a defrag is a pretty dedicated little task and doing it while its possible i could use the CPU is just not good practice. hmm

I wonder if that "feature" can be disabled? Possibly with a registry hack....hmmmm

That's odd. I've never seen the defragger running during the middle of the day.
As was mentioned earlier, it's supposed to run at 4AM on Friday by default. Is anyone else seeing it running automatically at random times? If not, perhaps G3N3RIC should submit a bug report and see what they have to say about it.

Yea let me know, i dont have a 360, but a modded xbox, its a step and if vista connects well, then even better..please keep me posted...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back