Windows Vista Beta 1 announced!

I wouldn't be surprised if it's true, but keep in mind that none of that is to be discussed here. I know none of the regulars are going to post download links (or silly hints on how to obtain it), but I'm just reiterating that to make sure it's understood.

Posting this from IE 7 on XP, by the way. :)

I wouldn't download it from anywhere unless its legal. I have dial up so downloading a 2gig iso would be done sometime after the final is released lol

Paul Therrott:

Microsoft is also working to mitigate so-called phishing attacks, where a malicious hacker conceals his Web site to make it look like an eCommerce or online banking site in the hopes that unsuspecting users will cough up their user names and passwords and, thus, other critical private data. The Phishing Filter, as it's called, is an opt-in feature. From what I can tell, it doesn't do squat, as I loaded two obvious phishing addresses into the application with nary a warning.

I am really suprised that Paul wasn't briefed about this, I reckon there is going to be ALOT of talk about it, I don't know if I am allowed to talk about it yet though. This feature will not be active in vista until beta 2, but should be active by default in IE7 for beta2, last I heard.

Man, i need a copy of this. I should shortly have a test system on which to play with it as well

I am pretty sure it will leak :eek:
the x64 download is only 1.7 gig :p

kcnychief said:
*is making post from Windows Vista*

So far, not bad...

Re: Drivers, only one it didn't find was my Audio, which I won't use on this PC anyways.

Re: system information, calls it Longhorn still

Re: bottom right corner, note it says Vista

IE 7 too :)

Man, so much cool stuff, almost don't know where to start :)

The Desktop remindes me of Suse linux, Which also uses single click.

Think we should make this a sticky, since Beta 1 will be out for awhile, er no?

NetRyder said:
I wouldn't be surprised if it's true, but keep in mind that none of that is to be discussed here. I know none of the regulars are going to post download links (or silly hints on how to obtain it), but I'm just reiterating that to make sure it's understood.

Posting this from IE 7 on XP, by the way. :)
Thanks Net! All my excitement in Vista, I missed the IE7 beta release. Downloading now :)

EDIT: Good thing I'm a legit customer, it forces validation during install :)

Electronic Punk said:
Paul Therrott:

I am really suprised that Paul wasn't briefed about this, I reckon there is going to be ALOT of talk about it, I don't know if I am allowed to talk about it yet though. This feature will not be active in vista until beta 2, but should be active by default in IE7 for beta2, last I heard.
When I opened up IE7 in XP for the first time, this is what I saw. Of note, I did NOT see this on by default in the Vista Beta...

Attachments

• phish.bmp
    445.4 KB · Views: 113
Last edited by a moderator:
Aha! So it does have it.
This is enabled by default.
EVERY SINGLE WEBPAGE YOU VISIT will be checked against a manually created database of known phishing websites, I asked the presenter if this would have people screaming about privacy implications, but he assured me that even tho this could make it possible, peoples browsing habits would not be monitored and if someone was concerned then the feature could be disabled.

I think it could be a good feature, but with a tough startup, I also believe it will get a very hard time from security analysts but you have I reckon it is a worthwhile feature to stop all those damn paypal clones.

Electronic Punk said:
Aha! So it does have it.
This is enabled by default.
EVERY SINGLE WEBPAGE YOU VISIT will be checked against a manually created database of known phishing websites, I asked the presenter if this would have people screaming about privacy implications, but he assured me that even tho this could make it possible, peoples browsing habits would not be monitored and if someone was concerned then the feature could be disabled.

I think it could be a good feature, but with a tough startup, I also believe it will get a very hard time from security analysts but you have I reckon it is a worthwhile feature to stop all those damn paypal clones.

I agree 100%. One of the biggest security flaws that was pre-determined in earlier versions of IE was the inability to show valid URL's, making phishing more difficult to cut down on for the un-trained eye.

To turn off the "Phishing Filter", simply open IE7, click Tools. The VERY FIRST menu item is "Phishing Filter", where you have the options to:

• Check This Website
  • Turn Off Automatic Checking
  • Report This Website
  • Phishing Filter Settings (This brings you to IE Options, advanced tab, where you can Check Automatically, Do Not Check Automatically, or Turn Off)
EDIT: IE7 seems to have broken my Trillian

Last edited:
Heh, I reverted back to 2000 pro the other day.....best choice I've made in a while.

LocKStocK said:
Heh, I reverted back to 2000 pro the other day.....best choice I've made in a while.

LOL, what prompted you to do that? :)

I honestly have to say that i like where it's going so far. looks nice, runs pretty nice. Bootup time is pretty wicked (the fast kinda wicked, not the run off and take a half hour nap kinda wicked). Anyone figure out how to get the glass effects and stuff?

(this post also posted from Vista)

I only had about a hour to play with it, but so far the UI overhal is awesome! It is almost like the entire OS is a web-app. Examples of this being the Start Menu, which is so far my favorite change. Instead of expanding to menus and submenus, everything happens within the left pane, you can refresh, go "back" and everything, its HOT!

I hope to play more, but probably won't get a chance until Sunday evening :(

Overall, boom bangin so far! :)

now you guys made me want to get it.. *sigh*.. i hate you guys.. so so so much

From reading Paul's review, one of the nicest changes I see is the renovated address bar in the Explorer window... the "breadcrumb bar" as he calls it. It's a very productive change. Similarly, browsing with the Start Menu might turn out to be helpful as well.

I do see the possible frustration behind not being able to hit the Windows key and then 'P' or 'C' to instantly access a menu. Apparently that brings up the search bar now.

That search-bar in the Start menu is such a cool enhancement. I'm a "keyboard person," so I already use the Windows Desktop Search deskbar in XP to launch all my apps. No icons lying around anywhere, and it's so much more convenient. :)

Well I definitely go along with that from using Spotlight in OS X. I have the Google Desktop Search on my work PC, but I only use it right now to search through emails. The Start Menu search should be invoked by hitting the 'S' key, or clicking the search icon. That way you can still key to the programs menu or control panel.

First off, nice job on making it a sticky. (I assume NetRyder did that).

Next, I just got around to watching the video. Very cool, except for the fact that MOST of it was geared towards programmers, which I am not even close :) I'm a budding MCSA/MCSE, but oh well. Good news though, that is the LAST negative thing I will say.

I found it humurous that they made him pay whenever he said "Longhorn". There was one time that he said it they didn't nab him for, shame shame! Also, that he mentioned his last job before this was a Day Camp Counselor. Heh.

I got excited listening to this interview. Granted, I wasn't as into Computers when XP came out, as I am now, but I have to believe that MS really cares. When he talks about building a car for the driver, not the mechanic, and how people feel that computers and software are insecure and hard to use, you really feel that he's passionate about what he says. The tips he touched on, in regards to UAP, Anti-Spyware and Malware, were just HOT. UAP is incredible, and I was wondering what user group you would be running out of, which was later answered. The goal of this Beta (apparently), is to have Developers test how apps would run under these user priveleges. From the MS standpoint, I have to wonder if they have adjusted features as simple as being able to install a printer, which you previously had to be an Administrator to do.

Virtual Folders sounds nifty, although when I first encountered it last night I found it a bit annoying. I could be wrong, but this sounds like it may phase out the Shadow Copy Feature used by Windows Server 2003 that can be deployed to XP through GPO. Interesting indeed, I want to test that more.

Parental Controls sounds real good. He didn't say much of it, except that it is included in Beta 1, as I noticed it last night. I have been using the McAfee product in the past, but if Microsoft can get this right, that would make life alot easier. I have always been a fan of utilities that were meant to be integrated, rather than add-on software.

Standby and Resume was one of the most interesting topics for me. He actually claimed that MS wants to get the Standby time down to 1-2 seconds, which is AMAZING. Granted, it maybe is only around 5-10 now on a slower machine, that much of a difference, you HAVE to be excited. I didn't hear a time frame set on Resume, but I would assume they were going to go for the same shot?

Alot of the other stuff was over my head since it's programming jargon, but overall the video was awesome. I was sad to hear that WinFS probably won't make the first RC of Windows Vista, as it goes into beta in about a year (according to the video).

Sorry to babble, I took a few notes while I was watching which made it easier to remember all these details. I have to say, that after watching this I am convinced that I'm going to run it full-time on my main production machine. I will just dual-boot and see what I can and can't do. I hope to have this setup tonight, so I'll be posting like a MOTHER I'm sure.

Lastly, those of you going to PDC '05, eventhough I'm not a developer, it sounds like it will be the best one yet. Enjoy!

I enjoyed the video too. Watched it last night after I got back from work. Can't wait for the PDC. Even have a countdown on my blog since the last few weeks. 47 days to go! :)

I'm going to install Vista Beta 1 on my main machine (laptop) as well, which is why I need to first take a disk image backup this weekend. Going to try to spend as much time as I can within Vista. It's the best way to beta test and submit feedback. If I had a separate test machine, I don't know how much I'd end up using it, to be honest.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back