Windows Update

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by gillmacca, Jun 7, 2002.

1. gillmacca

gillmacca Macca

Swindon, UK
    Windows Update was fine a couple of days ago - use to access it through aol browser. Now I get this message through the aol browser:
    Thank you for your interest in Windows Update

Windows Update is the online extension of Windows that helps you get the most out of your computer.

The latest version of Windows Update is only available on computers that are running Microsoft Windows 2000 or Windows XP.

If I try to access through internet explorer or msn explorer, it scans but stops at 75% and freezes the browser

Need help

Many thanks for your help
  2. tyk82002

tyk82002 Guest

The first thing you should do is ditch AOL!:cool:
  3. petdevils

petdevils Guest

can you try downloading the items seperately using a download assisting program like GetRight 4.5D or something better and download it with that....even if the site doesn't allow resumes it might be more stable as DLing through explorer popups sux?
  4. gillmacca

gillmacca Macca

Swindon, UK
    If I don't know what new updates there are, how can I download them seperately
  5. Oldbridge

Oldbridge Guest

Got the same error message 3 days ago. I am not using AOL. Let's hope someone can come up with an good idea.
  6. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

Melbourne Australia
    I don't use AOL & have had no problem. :D I am using IE6.
  7. JJB6486

JJB6486 Retired Mod Political User

West Lafayette, IN, USA
    Under MS's new anti-piracy policy, Windows Update access can be blocked to computers using the FCKGW illegal corporate key. If you are using the "Devils0wn" warez edition of XP with the FCKGW... you cannot access Windows Update under MS's new anti-warez precautions.

Sticking to's anti-warez policy, we will not help you crack or bypass these anti-piracy measures. Go out and buy a copy of XP

8. tyk82002

tyk82002 Guest

I've got a retail FCKGW key and my updates work fine..just added two more today!
  9. Oldbridge

Oldbridge Guest

Not using the famous key! but as said before I got that funny message. Any ideas, registry....??
  10. Oldbridge

Oldbridge Guest

Just out of curiosity. What version is your c:\windows\system32\iuctl.dll and iuengine.dll.
  11. Oldbridge

Oldbridge Guest

It's working again! Had to re-install Norton Cleansweep and also installed all the new ATI stuff and funny enough, it's working again.
  12. mbunny

mbunny Guest

Too late ;) The article to change ur key was posted on the frontpage.

It actually disables ur WinXP if u try to update with the warez version
  13. xsk8zerox

xsk8zerox Moderator

Yep it happened to me. good thing i have a legal copy of home laying around
  14. pmcartney

pmcartney Guest

If someone can upgrade to SP1 fully, (please SAVE your old files because to update to SP1 RTM FINAL you will need to uninstall SP1 beta) then they get the right system32 files for the update engine.

HOWEVER while MS was playing with the update board they came up with a new "2nd certificate" dated around 5/23 as opposed to 3/21.

What is sent to the update board is your Product Key and WPA number.

I do ALOT of clean installing and have my WPA safely kept.