Windows Update through Proxy question

Punkrulz

Somewhat eXPerienced
Hey guys,

I am in the process of setting up about 5 or so new computers at one of my clients. Now typically before, I will setup the computer, install Office 2003, and then I would like to do Microsoft Update before joining the computer to the domain. I like to join to domain last because I don't want any policies affecting the update as I've seen before.

Now since I'm not joined to the domain, typically I thought I have to put the proxy information manually into the browser, so I do just that. Then when I go to MS updates' website, it asks me for authentication. So I use domainname\administrator and the password... and it lets me through. I get either Express or Custom. If I do express it will ask me for authentication again, and then sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Same thing with custom, sometimes it works when I authenticate, and sometimes Windows Update tells me it fails.

The first computer I worked on I don't even think it asked me... I didn't do anything out of the ordinary, but the second computer just didn't work the same, and WU decided it was going to tell me it failed (I don't have the exact error).

What kind of problems are there with going through a proxy (ISA Server 2004) and how can I resolve problems like this? The second computer I had to bail on and WU appeared to not be working like I thought it would (got through the first 3 setup files but wouldn't scan the computer for the normal updates) so I set Automatic Update to download at 11pm...

Any ideas, or further instruction from the masters??? :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back