Windows update has encountered.....

M

MaxQ

Recently I have been having problem's with the Windows update.
I thought maybe the problem was on microsoft's end but, after 4 days of the same error I'm thinking the problem is on my end ?

When going to the Windows update page and selecting "scan for updates" I immediately get the following message.

Windows Update Error
Windows update has encountered an error and cannot display
requested page.

Select from any of the following pages for information about
Windows update services, or send us your feedback.

I have sent a email to microsoft tech support, after 4 days I have yet to receive a response. Just wondering if anybody here has encountered the same problem in the past/present and if so, what they did to fix the problem ??

Note: The update services has worked on my machine for over the past year, but now in the past week or so it does not.

I am running Windows Xp Home with IE 6.0.

Any help or suggestions appreciated. :rolleyes:Thanks

I've got the same problem. I'm also using XP and IE6. The problem seemed to start after the last Microsoft update to the engine to check for new updates. So far I have no idea how to fix the problem. There were similar problems on the Microsoft website but all included a specific error message that was indicated with the information shown on the page. My error message is exactly the same as yours.

Welcome you two. :) :)

You could try these to start with.

Windows Update - Error

If you cannot update XP check your c:\windows\windows update.log. If you have this error: Error 0x800C0008 then go to Tools\internet options\languages. You must have one language selected. Boom windows update works again!

Or for LAN settings

Go to control panel, open up Internet Options\Connections. Click on the Lan Settings button at the bottom right of the window. Untick Automatically detect settings.

Thanks for the response guys,

Pageant2; I too also started getting this problem right after the last update to my computer.

Hipster Doofus; I checked my windows update log and there was no errors that I could see, all "success".

Also I checked my languages, I have one language checked which is English (United States)[en-us].

In my LAN settings both Automatically detect settings & Use automatic configuration script are un-ticked.

Thanks

This may help, give it a read.

There is in a Reg file or a temp file the V4.Windows update software is located in that is used for this function. If this is located and deleted then the next time you try to use update it will ask you to load V4.windowsupdate again and this should take care of the problem. However I can not seem to remember where it is....:rolleyes:

Does anyone know where it might be?

After back tracking abit, I believe I found the problem that's causing the error in my orginally question.

The last update I did was the "Windows XP Service Pack 1 (express)*." After some more reading I noticed something that I did not notice the first time installing this Service Pack.

***Your total selected updates include an exclusive item that
must be installed separately from the other updates****

It is referring to the Windows Xp Service Pack 1, that I was attempting to install at the same time as some other critical updates......Whoops, I didn't see that the first time !!!I did infact install the Service Pack along with some critical updates at the same time !!!!

So I went into Control Panel/Add or Remove Programs found and removed the "Windows Xp Service Pack 1". Then went to the Windows update page and was able to "scan for updates" again without any errors then selected the Windows Service Pack 1 again.

This time I installed it separately (as it reconmended) then rebooted and eveything as O.K now when visiting the Windows update and scanning for updates

Not sure if this is the correct way of fixing the problem as I am not a Computer Guru but, seemed to work for me.

Way to go! There is no wrong way to fix a problem so if it worked for you then that is great.............

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back