Windows SP2 firewall question,

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Heeter, Jan 2, 2006.

1. Heeter

Heeter Overclocked Like A Mother

Hi Guys,

I know that the firewall is a great tool for incoming connections. Is there someway/anyway that I could use it to stop outgoing without the use of a third party firewall?

Thanks in advance,

Heeter

2. _kC_

_kC_ Moderator

3. Steevo

Steevo Spammer representing. Political User Folding Team

Winders firewall has always asked me about programs connecting to the net, an I have to give the OK.

I still like aports (active ports) though to check my connections.

4. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

The XP SP2 Firewall permission dialog only appears if the application needs to accept inbound connections.
    This will change in Vista - the firewall also monitors outbound connections.

Heeter, to answer your question: No, there is no way to get Windows Firewall in XP SP2 to monitor outbound connections.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2006
  5. Heeter

I kind of figured that would be the answer, Nets. But doesn't hurt to ask.

KC, I have tried that ghostwall firewall, it has problems with my local network and the network printer. And as well I could not figure out the GUI at all.

Too bad, that would be right up my alley.

Heeter

6. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

My problem with Ghostwall is that it doesn't have application-level control like the other third-party firewall apps. The developer who works on it has also pretty much made it clear that this won't be added to future versions either. Too bad. =\

7. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

I haven't found a third party firewall yet that doesn't give me fits sharing files and printers. If you find one let me know about it.

8. _kC_

_kC_ Moderator

i use kerio 2.1.5 for application and other custom network rules. but mostly trust my routers inbound protection.

another very good one i used was look n stop.. which u can turn on/off application filtering/network filtering independantly

both very very light on system, no probs at all with printers or file sharing.

9. j79zlr

j79zlr Glaanies script monkey Political User

I use Sygate Personal Firewall and have no problems with my network. Of course Symantec had to go and buy Sygate to destroy it, but the version I have still works.

10. _kC_

_kC_ Moderator

was a sygate user for 2yrs+ got pissed off with the way it caps your lan transfers at 4k sec whilst muching up 60%+ of your cpu...
    sygate admitted the problem, but could never fix it.. apart from its resource useage, its a great firewall

11. j79zlr

j79zlr Glaanies script monkey Political User

I've never noticed/had that problem?

12. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

I know most of you hate or bash it, but I have always loved ZonaAlarms free firewall. I think it is very customizeable, I use it on a broad scale and have never really had any major problems I couldn't fix.

Heeter: here is something you may find useful:

13. Heeter

That's promising. I like that.

Thanks D,

Heeter